Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Problem W/ O2 Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Default Problem W/ O2 Sensors

I have two 02 sensors in my engine bay. I tried to bring it to several muffler shops to see if they would weld them in place but they said that they wouldn't gamble on it not working. I've tried several things and I am out of options. Any suggestions as to what I should do with them? My car is running fine without them, except for slight hesitation in acceleration every now and then and idle is kind of slugglish from time to time. Not to mention the check engine light. Should I weld one and slap on a simulator on the other? What should I do?

Old 04-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Default RE: Problem W/ O2 Sensors

they need to weld bungs into the piping so you can screw them in like they are supposed to be. Why aren't they plugged in, in the first place??? Did you get aftermarket exhaust???

Old 04-18-2006, 11:34 AM

I bought a 4-1 header that was too short so I extended the downpipe to the header. The new header didn't have anything to screw the sensors in place to. I am having problems with muffler shops refusing to weld the sensors in b/c they don't want to be responsible if anything occurs.

Old 04-18-2006, 04:49 PM

I found a MIL simulator that I can use for the rear sensor but I need to somehow get the top sensor working properly.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:48 PM
HCF Member

You could drill a hole in the manifold/pipe where the O2 sensor is suppose to go and weld in a helicoil or bolt that will accomidate the O2 sensor. If you are gonna use the bolt, make sure the sensor will actually be inside the pipe long enough to work properly. I saw on TV when this guy was trying to hook up a flame thrower on an exhaust, he drilled a hole in the tailpipe and installed a helicoil so that the spark plugs would be inside the exhaust. I would guess you could do a similar thing for both O2 sensors.

Old 04-23-2006, 01:42 AM

Could I simulate the top sensor and use a MIL Eliminator for the bottom. I've read that the bottom sensor is used to tell ecu that the cat is there, the MIL tricks the ecu into operating like it is.

Old 04-24-2006, 09:08 AM

I bought a MIL Eliminator for $10 that I am gonna use for the bottom sensor. Then I'll take it to a muffler shop and have them weld the top sensor into the downpipe. Hopefully that'll correct the problem.

Old 04-24-2006, 12:41 PM
Cat Fuсker

make sure the top sensor is not after the cat...get a bung off of ebay for pennies and weld that in...

Old 04-24-2006, 02:34 PM

The top sensor is before the cat and the bottom is for after the cat. Would it correct this issue by having them weld a bung on the extended downpipe after the header to put in the top sensor and then using the MIL Eliminator for the bottom sensor?

Old 04-24-2006, 02:39 PM
Cat Fuсker

it will as long as your cat is after the sensor. You might have to get the ECU reset to get rid of the CEL

Quick Reply: Problem W/ O2 Sensors