Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Removing old exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 08:43 PM
HCF Member
Default Removing old exhaust

Hey, im about to order a skunk2 exhaust for my car, and i have read alot about how some of you have a hard time getting your old system off. any tips on how i can make the removal of my old exhaust system easyer?

Old 03-31-2006, 09:16 PM
Default RE: Removing old exhaust

wd-40 and or a grinder to grind off the rusted bolts.

Old 03-31-2006, 09:31 PM
HCF Member

You shouldn't even need a grinder. Cat-backs are probably the easiest mod you can do. Make sure you lube the hangers up a little too. I fought with my hangers more than my bolts.

Old 03-31-2006, 09:34 PM
HCF Member

If you have a cutter, they come in handy. You can cut off the exhaust until the part that you need to keep. Also, you can use a air hammer, it will be able to seperate two pipes that are stuck together but you have to be extra careful not to break the pipe you need (thats what i did).

Old 03-31-2006, 10:38 PM

A really nice flathead screwdriver , also if you car is the 96+ model there is going to be a o2 sensor on the cat so if you planning to take the whole system (from the head down) off support the cat so it does not hang on the o2 sensor wirings.

Why? Cause I honeslt recommend takeing the whole stock system off as a ONE rather then taking it part by part. as it will consume more time then needed, and you can take is apart after your done, and it will be easier to get the cat off that way.

Old 04-01-2006, 12:13 AM
HCF Member

I am only doing a catback and shortshifter for now, headers will come later. sniper, what should i use to lube up the hangers?

Old 04-01-2006, 01:18 AM

i suggest that u start spraying a lil wd-40 on all the bolts maybe every couple days or so untill u get ur exhaust. loosen up the rust to make things run a bit smoother. u might run into troubles with getting bolts off so if u have a dremel, have it ready. like sniper said lube up the hangers to get the old muffler off and new one on. i just use a small spray of wd-40 and that does the trick.

Old 04-01-2006, 01:20 AM
HCF Member

Buy some new nuts and bolts...........the old ones are nasty.

Old 04-01-2006, 02:05 AM
HCF Member

the skunk2 system im getting comes with new gaskets and bolts

Old 04-05-2006, 12:24 AM

wd40 gonne be your best friend in the fight u vs.rusted bolts and maby wanne go to a friends shop or if u got your oun garage whit some air tools u gonne be just fine

Quick Reply: Removing old exhaust