Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

skunk2 manifold

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 04:13 PM
Default skunk2 manifold

I was looking at some intake manifolds for a '95 civic ex on ebay and they pretty much only have OBX and Skunk2. i dont think i'd trust OBX on this so it'd most likely be the Skunk2. Right now i have I/H/E and a couple others mods. Im wondering how much more power would i expect to gain with it? Im not really sure if this would be a realistic buy because im low on money but im def. considering it. another main concern i have is its effect on the engine. the engine has 165k miles on it and is in very good shape but it is old and high mileage, so i was wondering if this would put to much strain on the engine and possibly cause some major problems? also, how hard would it be to install it on my own with some help with a couple buddies? would i have to get my engine tuned and all because of this change? if theres anything else i need to know please clue me in...

thanks!

Skunk2

OBX

Old 12-23-2005, 04:17 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: skunk2 manifold

there is always venom intake manifolds, but those can get pricey...

i would go with the skunk 2 and if you could also get the throttle body to match it, that would be even better,

but i would choose

<----skunk2

Old 12-23-2005, 04:24 PM
HCF Member

For the extra 60 bucks I would definitely go with the Skunk2. An IM isn't going to affect wear and tear, unless you can't stay off the throttle because of the newfound power. It just makes your car a more efficient air pump, unlocking Hp that was there already. A bigger TB would be a good idea to go along with it. If you don't have another $200 for a Holley or name brand TB, look for an Integra TB, they are 60mm instead of the 56 for stock. You should be able to find one for ~ 50 bucks.

Best guess on the Hp increase would be ~ 8Hp to the wheels. Skunk2 says +12Hp but I think that is with their stage1 cam too.

You and a buddy should be able to do it in a day, and I think the ECU will compensate for the increased air flow, so a pro tune wouldnt be absolutely necessary.

Old 12-23-2005, 04:36 PM

Yeah do up the Skunk2 manny and TB if you have the money, port match the TB and manny, and intake ports, you could easily unlock 10 hp.
I'm doing a intake manifold conversion with the skunk2 manny and TB, I've read reviews, the skunk2 manifold is mainly power gains in 4k+ to like 7ish, mainly midrange, but unless you plan on running 10k rpm your good to go.

Old 12-23-2005, 07:08 PM

i would go with the skunk2

Old 12-23-2005, 08:06 PM
HCF Member

...oh nvm go with the skunk2

Old 12-23-2005, 10:57 PM

how much do u think getting it tuned might run me? thanks a lot, u guys answered all my questions! and HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYBODY!!! WOOOOOOOO

Old 12-24-2005, 12:31 AM
HCF Member

[IMG]there is always venom intake manifolds, but those can get pricey... [/IMG]

These work best with F/I.
I have a skunk mani, and I can vouch for it. It is one of the best motor mods that I have done to my car. I also have a 68mm TB mortmached. Great gains comin off of those two. The day I got it installed, I couldnt believe how much better my car responded.

Old 12-24-2005, 10:57 AM

As everyone has said Skunk2 would be the way to go, along with some kind of better TB, just depends on how much you have to spend.

Wouldnt this also greatly improve throttle response? Thats one thing for me. When I put something on, I want to be able to feel like its done something.

Old 12-24-2005, 11:05 AM
HCF Member

yeah, throttle respose will go up drastically, and as long as you dont go too big on the TB, it will give very noticeable gains throughout the rev range. if its too big for your needs, it will slow the airflow into the manifold (still with higher volume, but lower velocity) which hurts cylinder filling at low rpms.

Quick Reply: skunk2 manifold