Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Sound of new header

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 03:37 AM
HCF Member
Default Sound of new header

Alright so this weekend I installed a new edelbrock header with a new gasket on my 98 civic ex (d16y8) and it makes noise when I push down on the throttle a bit, kinda like a buzzing or farting noise but not exactly that coming from the engine(I'm not sure how to describe it and I don't my car with me right now). I don't really like the sound of it but the four people I asked say they think it sounds good and doesn't sound ricey at all. I had read on the forums here and other websites that a header is supposed to be quieter than the stock exhaust manifold. So whats up? Why is my header making noise? Is it possible to overtighten the bolts?

Old 04-13-2007, 10:07 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Sound of new header

it could be a leak between the header and head, or between the header and cat, are u runnign stock exaust?

Old 04-13-2007, 02:35 PM
Snail'n Admin

i agree with cpl, check ur gaskets for leaks where u put the new header on, like spl said, between the header n head or header and cat

Old 04-13-2007, 02:50 PM
HCF Member

yeah the stock exhaust is still on. thanks for the replies

Old 04-13-2007, 04:03 PM
HCF Member

while it's running pop the hood and check the headerto see if you see any smoke leaking out, (don't touch it though!) once it breaks in some nuts might need some retightening.

Did you remember to put the doughnut ring on the end of the header connecting to the converter?

Old 04-14-2007, 06:14 AM
HCF Member

yeah i remember when i first started running the engine smoke was coming off of the header so i know what you're talking about. And yes I put the doughnut ring on the end of the header. I dont think the sound is coming from down below but is coming from the engine

Old 04-14-2007, 10:42 PM
HCF Member

If you just installed something (header) and all of a sudden your car is making weird noises why would your engine be suspect? Possible something could of gotten in the engine while you had the manifold off through the holes....but as soon as you start the engine it would be pushed out and through your exhaust.

I didn't mean smoke coming off the header during the breaking in process I mean like a bad weld and exhaust is leaking through a crack.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:48 PM
HCF Member

alright so I tightened the bolts connecting the header to the engine and have concluded that the sound is coming from down below where the header meets the cat. Guess that means I need to get under the car again . Thanks for the help

Old 04-15-2007, 10:44 PM
HCF Member

you know I get this noise when the engine is cold and I haven't ran it for awhile....I'm almost certain it's part of the heatshield reverberating off of the converter. Does it only happen to you when you start it up and the engines cold? Then go's away once it's at normal operating temperature?

Old 04-19-2007, 08:37 PM
HCF Member

no I get it even when the engine is warm

Quick Reply: Sound of new header