Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

straight back exhust

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 10:34 AM
HCF Member
Default straight back exhust

can any one give me any tips on makeing a custom straight back exhaust for my 1994 Civic LX I am thinking about useing 2.5inch pipe.and finding some way of having a 3.5or 4 inch tip the only stock thing i might keep is the CAT or i might get a high flow CAT. can the car run with out a cat. i was thinkin 3 inch pipe may be better for the exhaust system i want to know if i would have any ground clearance issues. if the car is lowerer about 2 or 3 inches
also is it worth buying a 4-1 header for about $150 or should i make one

Old 02-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Cat Fuсker
Default RE: straight back exhust

2.5 for a civic is waaay to big...especially for an LX. A good header is worth much more that 150 unless you find a good used one. and with a pipe running under suspension in a lowered civic (that is what we're talkign about?) IS asking for spark from asphalt contact:-D Not to mention you're not going into any driveways:-D

Old 02-15-2006, 12:03 PM

im lowered about 2 inches, and i have some scraping issues =/..i also have a greddy evo2(2.5 piping and 4.5 tip) its kinda big, but it sounds SOOOO nice..no complaints.

Old 02-15-2006, 07:26 PM

"can any one give me any tips on makeing a custom straight back exhaust ....the only stock thing i might keep is the CAT or i might get a high flow CAT"

well...a straight pipe exhaust means eliminating the CAT. basically just headers connected to pipe that connects to the back of the CAT. i bought a dc sports racing header 2 peice, and it works beautifully...and to answer your other question, yes you can ride without a cat...the only con is that it will smell horrible!!! nothin but fumes, i dont care tho, its a small price to pay for power increase and a great exhaust note...on and i didnt connect the muffler...it runs nice.

Old 02-16-2006, 06:47 AM
HCF Member

the D series motor is only for now about the in about the next year i am planing to build a B series engine and run boost but for now i got people underestimating the D series engine so i going all N/A for now that is why i want the straight back exhaust so what is the maximum size pipe i should use for the exhust system

Old 02-16-2006, 10:08 AM

damn dude your going to sound like fried rice with straight pipes.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:59 AM
HCF Member

what are you guys talking about?? Its an OBD2 setup which requires 2 o2 sensors (1 post cat), you will need a o2 simulator to trick the ecu if you want to go that route.

having no cat is illegal and everyone will know that you have no cat. It is smelly and LOUD. It will be so unbearable that the first cop you pass under acceleration will know also. Sorry, but 1.8Ls and smaller sound like crap with no resonation. And as for piping size stay at 2.25" at most... probably 2" is ideal. 2.5 is too big, and 3"... are you kidding me?

Get a high flow cat, some larger piping and a header. The header will add to the exhaust note better than no cat will.

Old 02-16-2006, 12:20 PM

seriouse.... do you have a purpose for wanting 3 inch pipes? i think something that big will kill you already low, low end torque.

Old 02-16-2006, 12:32 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: dj_ipirate

seriouse.... do you have a purpose for wanting 3 inch pipes? i think something that big will kill you already low, low end torque.
definately... your low and high end. You will lose horsepower and torque by going that big.

Old 02-16-2006, 12:35 PM

^ you sure i have seen gains on the high end with the bigger pipes.

but maybe a 3 inches.... its hopeless. but im mainly talking about the 2 1/2

Quick Reply: straight back exhust