Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

straight piping vs cat back

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 12:04 AM
Default straight piping vs cat back

alright guys need some assistance...ive currently got a universal performance muffler on my civic and was thinking about just taking it up to the exhaust shop and having them replace the rest of the oem exhaust with straight piping becuase it sounds excelent and i just want it louder and a little bit more flow, what is your guys stance on this versus buying a cat back system which is going to run me around $600....

Old 02-26-2007, 12:08 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: straight piping vs cat back

IF youre not doinga decent amountmodding and just want the sound then I'd just go for the piping.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:09 AM

id say buy a stainless steel catback....you wont have to worry about welds and rusting then

Old 02-26-2007, 06:38 PM

well what do you have done to your car?

Old 02-26-2007, 07:30 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Personally, I'd go with just having a muffler shop do it... it'll cost a fraction of the price of a cat-back, especially since you already have the muffler.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:24 PM

yeah thats what i was gettin to

Old 02-26-2007, 09:38 PM

yea thats the only thing i have done as far as performace so far, i have intake and some other stuff in the mail right now. I have found some mid section piping from megan racing for $210 here... http://www.meganracing.com/products/...&catid=103, what do you think about these, this along with my current muffler should be a good system and the muffler shop should charge too much to install

Old 02-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Super Cereal Admin

the Megan piece looks good... Megan's quality stuff from what I've heard, and $200 isn't bad... I don't think the muffler shop should charge you $200 though... when I had my exhaust put on, it was $140 to custom-bend tubing to form a dual exhaust (I'm taking it off this spring... the guy at the muffler shops gonna b mad lol he spent so much time on the duals), which took him the better part of a full work day...

Then again, each muffler shop's different... I'd say definitely get an estimate before you buy the mid-pipe... I honestly think it'll be cheaper to have a muffler shop run the entire system

Old 02-27-2007, 12:37 AM

are you upgrading your exhaust or what...yea im not too sure on the emmisions laws here in ga and once i find out how they are then ill choose between the megan pipes or just running straight pipes, then again i dont know if the megan pipes are able to pass inspection, i believe they are though. i should probably just get a cat back system but since there is only 2 or 3 out so far they are all upwards of 500 and 630, and im not going to go all out on my car for a while with the warranty and all so im just looking for some quality sound for now which should be good with the piping and my muffler.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:50 AM
HCF Member

dont forget the resonator up there....you'll regret it if you dont get one

Quick Reply: straight piping vs cat back