Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Test Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Default Test Pipe

I recently bought a test pipe and intsalled it on my 94 Civic Ex. Will I notice a change in sound with my N1 ebay muffler and megan headers ? I just put on megan 4-2-1 racing headers. Also how many horses will I be pushing after the the two installs? Note: I also have an aem cai.
FYI: The car is a project right now I've been buying parts for it ,but it will ramain on jacks till I'm finished...
Thanks.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Snail'n Admin
Default RE: Test Pipe

bahahahaha....ummm 5 hp maybe? Why buy a muffler? its anoise maker as far as im concerned

Old 04-29-2008, 07:28 PM

if it's one of those ebay test pipes prepare for it to get really rusty. I bought one and replaced it with a mangaflow high flow cat and while I was doing the install I noticed how rusty the test pipe had gotten in 6 months.

"Stainless Steel Test Pipe," pshhhhh

If you're installing just the muffler and not a catback, you sure aren't really going to have gains from that at all. I'd have to agree with maybe 5hp from both installs.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:35 PM
HCF Member

Just get some custom pipeing done at a shop. Most muffler/exhaust shops will do that ( not meineke). Preferably you want mandrel bent pipes over crushed pipeing. I bought my magnaflow cat-back for $400 and if I could do it over I'd prolly just get custom pipes with a magnaflow resonator and tip cause of the price.... Not saying i'm dissatisfied with my setup tho....

Old 04-29-2008, 10:01 PM
HCF Member

^^^ Yup thats what I did, im very happy. The guy i bought the car off had a muffler on it and i really liked the sound it made so I took was going to buy the magnaflow cat back also but realized it was much cheaper to just bring it to a shop. So if you really like the sound of you muffler just get some custom pipping welded onto it. And if you want to get a new cat back i would recommend the magnaflow one. REALLY GOOD sound imo. there is a video of it on procivic.com click on the magna flow exhaust if you really interested in the sound.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:26 AM
HCF Member

We aren't going to be able to guess how much power you are going to be making, you have to put it on a dyno for that. I would guess like 5-8hp gain though.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:45 PM

[hr]will the megan headers even do it justice??

Old 04-30-2008, 06:50 PM

Also lmao I don't live in a state where they're not too worried about catalytic converters. I went to the hardware store and I told a guy I was supposedly bolting on a new cat and ha said,"Who needs a cat anyways." that's jus the mentality back here!! High flow cats are great if you have to worry about it, in this case I do not so why bother.
FYI: IOWA

Old 04-30-2008, 07:33 PM

a megan header is fine. If you're ultra-rich and you wouldn't miss the cash, go get a dc sports header. but otherwise what you just put on is fine.

ORIGINAL: JAY1994

Also lmao I don't live in a state where they're not too worried about catalytic converters. I went to the hardware store and I told a guy I was supposedly bolting on a new cat and ha said,"Who needs a cat anyways." that's jus the mentality back here!! High flow cats are great if you have to worry about it, in this case I do not so why bother.
FYI: IOWA
Well, I'm sure that most of us enjoy breathing somewhat clean air, and would like our future grandchildren to be able to breathe, so the more EASY things you and people in general can do like use a catalytic converter the better. It's ONLY a 1hp difference between high-flow cat and a test pipe.

So is the 1hp really worth it in the grand scheme of things?

P.S. I live in FL and i'm in the same situation as far as cats go. We have no smog check so cat's aren't strictly enforced, but if a cop wanted to all he has to do is shine a flashlight under the car to take a look and write a giant ticket.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:15 PM
HCF Member

I have a test pipe on my civic, sometimes i wish i never gotten it, but majority of the time im pleased with it. I will one day put a high flow cat on my car.....save yourself some time and money and just do the high flow cat. I really see both ends on this subject with test pipes.....i can say im not for OR against them.

Quick Reply: Test Pipe