HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   what intake gives most HP gains? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/what-intake-gives-most-hp-gains-70103/)

skaterx57 09-24-2008 02:29 PM

what intake gives most HP gains?

hey! so i just picked up a 96 ex and was lookin to get an intake for it. saw a few i liked but was planning on getting the injen CAI. (for $260..ugh). before i did though i wanted to know if anyone has tried a few different ones and what one gave the most noticeable gain. i was leaning towards cai but ill do ram air too doesnt matter.

also i was wondering if i just grabbed a ebay intake and put a quality filter on (prob aem driflow) if that would be just as good. ive heard that piping is all the same its the filter that matters...

thanks in advance!

texasmade 09-24-2008 02:59 PM

thats what i did

FlipHKD720 09-24-2008 03:21 PM

there will not be a very noticable difference in power between Injen and an ebay tube + nice filter. There might be SLIGHT differences, but really, with a 4 banger SOHC you're not gonna feel it.

and the AEM V2 gives the biggest gains available, but still not worth the money IMO

sfazngiants 09-24-2008 04:05 PM

like what fliphkd720 said, i would go with aem, a little cheaper than injen

trustdestruction 09-24-2008 05:20 PM

yea get the ebay CAI and a name brand filter (injen, aem, k&n, apex-i)

civic_burns_all 09-24-2008 11:18 PM

these things dont make much of a difference. Anyways the gain is so little you won't even really feel it when you drive.

So doesn't matter unless you are looking in terms of reliability then idk about ebay products

xsteinbachx 09-25-2008 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by civic_burns_all (Post 591508)
these things dont make much of a difference. Anyways the gain is so little you won't even really feel it when you drive.

So doesn't matter unless you are looking in terms of reliability then idk about ebay products

Whats there to break on a the Ebay CAI or SRI ? It's just steel piping like injen K&N, and AEM. You can't go wrong really just don't use the Original filter they give you for the Ebay CAI or SRI

In reality you're buying for the sound the cai or sri makes at higher revs, and that minimal hp boost, but i'd say mostly the sound.

moatezhab 09-29-2008 10:21 AM

Go for eBay piping and a good filter. AEM has some real nice filters and intakes.

trustdestruction 09-29-2008 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by xsteinbachx (Post 591538)
Whats there to break on a the Ebay CAI or SRI ? It's just steel piping like injen K&N, and AEM. You can't go wrong really just don't use the Original filter they give you for the Ebay CAI or SRI

Just to clarify, the metal ones are made of aluminum. K&N is actually plastic tubing.

But yea, there's nothing on an ebay intake besides the filter that would make it inferior to a name brand intake. Oh, and the name brand intakes have the bracket to stabilize them to the shock tower already attached to the intake tube. That's about it. But yea, get an ebay intake and slap on a good filter.

xsteinbachx 09-29-2008 12:50 PM

My ebay one had the shock tower with a rubber spacer and 3 washers.