Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

what intake gives most HP gains?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Default what intake gives most HP gains?

hey! so i just picked up a 96 ex and was lookin to get an intake for it. saw a few i liked but was planning on getting the injen CAI. (for $260..ugh). before i did though i wanted to know if anyone has tried a few different ones and what one gave the most noticeable gain. i was leaning towards cai but ill do ram air too doesnt matter.

also i was wondering if i just grabbed a ebay intake and put a quality filter on (prob aem driflow) if that would be just as good. ive heard that piping is all the same its the filter that matters...

thanks in advance!

Old 09-24-2008, 02:59 PM
HCF Member

thats what i did

Old 09-24-2008, 03:21 PM
HCF Member

there will not be a very noticable difference in power between Injen and an ebay tube + nice filter. There might be SLIGHT differences, but really, with a 4 banger SOHC you're not gonna feel it.

and the AEM V2 gives the biggest gains available, but still not worth the money IMO

Old 09-24-2008, 04:05 PM
HCF Member

like what fliphkd720 said, i would go with aem, a little cheaper than injen

Old 09-24-2008, 05:20 PM

yea get the ebay CAI and a name brand filter (injen, aem, k&n, apex-i)

Old 09-24-2008, 11:18 PM
HCF Member

these things dont make much of a difference. Anyways the gain is so little you won't even really feel it when you drive.

So doesn't matter unless you are looking in terms of reliability then idk about ebay products

Old 09-25-2008, 07:49 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by civic_burns_all
these things dont make much of a difference. Anyways the gain is so little you won't even really feel it when you drive.

So doesn't matter unless you are looking in terms of reliability then idk about ebay products
Whats there to break on a the Ebay CAI or SRI ? It's just steel piping like injen K&N, and AEM. You can't go wrong really just don't use the Original filter they give you for the Ebay CAI or SRI

In reality you're buying for the sound the cai or sri makes at higher revs, and that minimal hp boost, but i'd say mostly the sound.

Last edited by xsteinbachx; 09-25-2008 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:21 AM
HCF Member

Go for eBay piping and a good filter. AEM has some real nice filters and intakes.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by xsteinbachx
Whats there to break on a the Ebay CAI or SRI ? It's just steel piping like injen K&N, and AEM. You can't go wrong really just don't use the Original filter they give you for the Ebay CAI or SRI
Just to clarify, the metal ones are made of aluminum. K&N is actually plastic tubing.

But yea, there's nothing on an ebay intake besides the filter that would make it inferior to a name brand intake. Oh, and the name brand intakes have the bracket to stabilize them to the shock tower already attached to the intake tube. That's about it. But yea, get an ebay intake and slap on a good filter.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:50 PM
HCF Member

My ebay one had the shock tower with a rubber spacer and 3 washers.

Quick Reply: what intake gives most HP gains?