Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

What's in the brand name?

Old 12-28-2006, 04:21 PM
HCF Member
Default What's in the brand name?

Can anyone tell me why I should spend the extra $200 dollars to get a brand name intake such as K&N or AEM or Injen. I look on ebay and see all these intakes for around $40. Then the K&N or AEM or Injen intakes run anywhere from $120 to $250. The less expensive ones are made by JDM? Decent brand? Thanks

Old 12-28-2006, 04:58 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: What's in the brand name?

Nobody's forcing you to buyan AEM or INJEN. Go ahead and buy one off ebay........just dont look at me
when your engine ****** upand you got no one to blame.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:59 PM
HCF Member

haha....anybody else....

Old 12-28-2006, 05:01 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: runswit2guns

Can anyone tell me why I should spend the extra $200 dollars to get a brand name intake such as K&N or AEM or Injen. I look on ebay and see all these intakes for around $40. Then the K&N or AEM or Injen intakes run anywhere from $120 to $250. The less expensive ones are made by JDM? Decent brand? Thanks
buy any tube you want, it'll make little difference. if YOU want to have boasting rights - "look at me! i have an AEM v2!," buy the expensive AEM. you'll be fine with a ebay tube though. just make sure you get a brand name filter, like K&N or AEM's dryflow. you prolong your engine's life by having a quality filter on

but like caine said, its your engine. what you spend is up to you

Old 12-28-2006, 05:02 PM
HCF Member

HAHAHA i am sorry for laughing, but JDM mean Japanease Domestic Market, it isn't a name brand, it is a fad that is going on right now, some people will ****** up ANYTHING that has JDM in the title.
the intakes you see on ebay are just generic brands, if you are low on money just get an ebay intake and put a K&N filter on it.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:02 PM
HCF Member

I'm just tryin to find out if there is something in the name? Are you paying for the name or is it performance and quality? And which one is better, AEM, K&N, or Injen?

Old 12-28-2006, 05:05 PM
HCF Member

so the intake on generic brands are comparable to that of K&N except for the filter?

Old 12-28-2006, 05:10 PM
HCF Member

^ i wouldn't ay comparable, but you will notice a little difference in throttle responce and a bit more power even with the generic intake. they are just not dyno proven like the AEM and Injen and K&N intakes are. they are literally just piece of metal pipe with a filter on it. where AEM, K&N, and Injen had research and development for their intakes so they prove the results are there

Old 12-28-2006, 05:14 PM
HCF Member

brand name = extensive R&D = $$$ VS generic = NO R&D = fitment issues = $

simple enough?

Old 12-28-2006, 05:14 PM
HCF Member

Go with the ebay ones. Thats what i did. Like what My05Civic was hinting at, a tube is a tube, metal is metal, so go get yourself an ebay one with the tube and then go buy an aem dryflow filter which i did. Saves you lots of money and with the same performance. Yeah i'm one of them dudes who don't see the point in buying name brand **** that cost like 4-5 times more when i can get something much cheaper with the same performance, and yes the ebay one i got works wonders. I feel the gains and just go buy a filter, thats the most imporant part. The filter. A tube is a tube, metal is a metal lol. If its made out the same **** then why spend 250 bucks more????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's in the brand name?