Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

White smoke/weird idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 06:12 PM
HCF Member
Default White smoke/weird idle

My 98 DX is blowing white smoke out the muffler after idling for 5-10 minutes. Then it will start idling weird, like it's going to stall out but then it doesn't, just keeps running.

Here's a quick rundown of how I got to this point:

Changed muffler since it needed replaced (with Bosal OEM replacement). Change the muffler over the course of three weeks due to being busy and having to drill out bolts, etc. Then the car wouldn't start.

Added some gas. Changed the plugs, oil, and fuel filter. Tried to start it every few days over the course of two weeks or so.

Hit the fuse box three times with a rubber mallet and the car started up with a little help from the gas pedal. Now after running at idle it will start to smoke out the muffler. It looks like white smoke, but then again I have only looked at it at night after dark...

Any ideas?

Old 09-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

First impression:

If the smoke is in fact white, then you may be burning coolant in a cylinder(s) due to a bad head or head gasket. This is also allowing exhaust gas to enter the cooling system. The trapped gas is impairing proper coolant flow around the temperature sensor and to the IACV, thereby causing a rough idle.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:46 PM
HCF Member

Is there usually a delay in the formation of smoke when there's a head gasket problem?

First course of action? Well, beyond verifying the color of the smoke in the daylight.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If you suspect the head/gasket, compression test the cylinders and do a leak down test.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:56 PM
HCF Member

If you suspect the head/gasket, compression test the cylinders and do a leak down test.
How is this done?

Old 09-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

See the forum DIY section for Forty04's compression test instructions.

Read information at this link to learn about the leak down test:

http://www.geocities.com/dsmgrrrl/FAQs/leakdown.htm

Old 09-22-2008, 07:01 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
See the forum DIY section for Forty04's compression test instructions.

Read information at this link to learn about the leak down test:

http://www.geocities.com/dsmgrrrl/FAQs/leakdown.htm
Sweet! Thanks!

Old 09-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Good luck. I hope that your head gasket/head turns out to be fine as this would be a serious problem.

By the way, my guess would be that your "mallet approach" for the fuse box problem will only yield a temporary fix.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:42 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
Good luck. I hope that your head gasket/head turns out to be fine as this would be a serious problem.

By the way, my guess would be that your "mallet approach" for the fuse box problem will only yield a temporary fix.
Yea, I agree. I am not entirely convinced that this fuse box beating/car starting was not just coincidence. What's the best way to check the main relay for proper functioning?

Old 09-23-2008, 07:50 AM
Recognized HCF Member

What exactly did you hammer to get the car started? I thought it was the under-hood fuse/relay box.

Quick Reply: White smoke/weird idle