Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Default Is it worth it?

I have a 99 Civic DX. Everything on there is pretty much stock with the exception of a spoiler I put on. Is it worth it to put on a cold air intake and a new exhaust? Will it improve my gas mileage and horsepower along with a good sound? I don't know much about cars but before I drop a lot of money I want to be sure its worth it. Any help you guys could give me would be great lol

thanks everyone

Old 05-16-2008, 05:31 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Is it worth it?

Well, whats your goal?

If you want to be able to keep up with mustangs (or pass them). You minus well save up for an engine swap, turbo, or nitrous. Really I think it all comes down to money, knowledge, and resources, in that order.

You have the DX model which doesn't have much grunt, and an intake and exhaust will only free up a couple ponies. But they will give it an aggresive sound, not expensive in comparison, and may help gas mileage (depending on how you drive). Also you'll be able to keep the cat-back but the intake you'll have to remove if you plan to turbo, or retrofit to a dif motor if possible.

Do some research and figure out what would work best for you out of the three choices. If you want to play you got to pay

Old 05-16-2008, 07:11 PM
HCF Member

is an intake and exhaust worth it on a d16y7? ....no

i know i have both on my car, but i was already replacing my muffler anyway, and i needed to replace my filter, so i just went ahead and bought an aem intake with a k/n filter so i could install a front strut member.

if i were to do it again, i'd just put a drop in k/n filter and do a subtle black coated exhaust.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:38 PM
HCF Member

A good cold air intake and cat-back exhaust can increase horsepower by about 5% - the more power you start with, the more you end up with. I was very impressed with the sound of my Magnaflow/AEM V2 combo. To me, it was worth the money to free up the high-revs in combination with that incredible Magnaflow sound.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:39 PM

Yea I'm not trying to race my car, i'm not into that but I think if a new exhaust and intake could improve the mileage along with some power and give me a better sound I think it would be worth it. Anyone suggest any brands/ models that would work for my car that sound good and perform well?

Old 05-17-2008, 03:10 PM
HCF Member

it depends on if you want performance or just the looks and sound. if you want performance, then you would go with the engine swap and a turbo. but if you dont really have the need for all that power and just want a nice look and sound, go with the exhaust and intake. that's my opinion. i've got an aem sri and i'm going to be getting a evo2 in about a month or so. i don't have the need for the performance. even though i would love to have it, its not like i go to any tracks or strips to really utilize all that power. so im just going to stick with a good sound and nice look. i love the way my sri sounds, and it gave me a lil boost in acceleration in comparison to the stock. and i cant wait til i get my evo2.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:07 PM
HCF Member

go with a close to stock sized piping for exhaust and muffler, unless you want to lose a few pounds of torque.
and i'll suggest: aem and injen for intakes

and greddy or pieced together exhaust with a twinloop muffler.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:44 AM
HCF Member

piping 2.25, keep stock cat, and change the resonator for the best sound and performance, but i wouldn't put any money into a dx, i already did that, slapped on every bolt on i could, if anything do that and go for a nice jdm look

Old 05-22-2008, 04:19 PM
HCF Member

WOW, i was thinking th same thing today and was going to post this.

I have the aftermarket axle back, and was going to get a new air intake to give the engine bay a cleaner look, better gas mileage, sound, and maby it will gives my more power.

My question is, Will it mess with the fuel air ratio?

Will i get the same sound out of a short ram intake, that i get out of a long ram?

Old 05-22-2008, 06:47 PM
HCF Member

LOL
a long ram???
LMAO

Quick Reply: Is it worth it?