Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

would this work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 01:57 AM
Default would this work?

i was thinking when i was staring down at my intakr about something to suck more air in. and then i thought about the whole thing with two different air speeds coming together and creating more pressure. i was at lowes the other day in the plumbing section (where i actually bought my rubber tube to replace my airbox to my sri) and saw another rubber tube that went out straight and had another end that was at a curve. in other words it went from 2 ends to 1 end. well... i was wondering if onj one end you could attach a cai or an sri and on the other end just hook a filter right up. this would result in different air speeds colliding together and creating more pressure. i was wondering if anyone has ever tried this and if it gave anymore horsepower. because even if it gave 1 to 3 more hp, it is only a $5 tube... hit me back if i'm crazy or if it might actually work. i want to know! and i may just try it because it is relatively costless compared to other upgrades. i already have the extra filter.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:53 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: would this work?

Hell, give it a try and then let us know. Sounds feasible...sorta. If nothing else you just dropped 5 bucks for nothing, not a biggie.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:43 PM

i'll try it when i replace my IM and TB with a d16y8 set... my vertical tb on the d16y7 wouldn't be good for that. i'll say if i notice anything

Old 08-16-2006, 09:55 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: smit3413
this would result in different air speeds colliding together and creating more pressure.
How do you figure?

Old 08-17-2006, 07:33 AM
HCF Member

Yeah, smit, I was definitely very curious about your intake set-up when I was checking out your gallery. Let us know if anything productive happens.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:49 PM

Do it. As far as the pipe, I'm using PVC piping currently for my Grand Prix. Cheap and it did about as good of a job that I needed.

I saw an EVO (I think) with a custom intake setup. He had two filters running down to his fog lights.

I don't know about more pressure, but more air is good. Colder air is good. Insulate it with some stuff from the heating/air conditioning section of Home Depot.

Then post up some numbers. I'm thinking about doing a custom set up with my grand prix like this... I just haven't looked for a pipe yet!

Old 08-17-2006, 03:52 PM

[/quote]How do you figure?
[/quote]

physics... two different air speeds and air temperatures coming together makes a lot of pressure. think about how tornadoes are made

and in reply to the last guy... i already know i could do that with two different tubes from the front bumper. but i'm trying for different air speeds, so i have one intake with a tube that takes air from a hole in the front bumper at a sort of "forced air rate" and then another intake taking air right from where the IM is, causing different air speeds at different temperatures to come together. i'm hoping for, yes, more air, but i'm also hoping this creates more pressure - that was the idea

Old 08-17-2006, 03:58 PM

woops, quoted myself. hehe

Old 08-17-2006, 04:22 PM
HCF Member

dude..that makes no sense...tornados and hurricaines are negative pressure. thats why they lift things off the ground towards the funnel. thats how wind works. the sun heats up a specific area and that air rises (heat rises remember). now when this air moves it lowers pressure, which is where cooler air moves in to the area to take its place. thus, wind.

anyway, all your 'plan' will do would be to create turbulence in your intake stream.

Old 08-17-2006, 04:25 PM

that's all i wanted was a straight forward answer. thanks
still won't hurt to try though