Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

benefits of a spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 08:07 AM
HCF Member
Default benefits of a spoiler?

are these more for looks than performance? Does it really give you better handling and stability at high speeds? Do the bigger ones work better than the common OEM smaller ones?

I have trouble judging space from the back of my car to anything else (other cars, poles) would installing a rear spoiler help me see the end of the trunk? (01 civic coupe factory suspension)

Old 07-21-2007, 08:11 AM
Default RE: benefits of a spoiler?

One could use the excuse that they're for traction with wind resistance, but that doesn't exactly hold water with front wheel drive cars.

They're for looks.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:28 AM
HCF Member

yes, they serve a purpose. since civics are front heavy, the rear of the car seems to 'bounce' around at high speeds more so than the front. that's why your rear tires might cup more often depending on the driving you do most. the spoiler actually increases the stability of the rear, but only slightly, nothing dramatic.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:48 AM
HCF Member

I was told by some of my friends that the rear wing only works over 100mph
I dont know if that true, but thats what i was told

Old 07-21-2007, 10:19 AM
HCF Member

its not a big difference.. its more for just show on a civic.. on funny cars they can be used for rear down force for more traction.. but its a rear wheel drive so its gonna help traction better.. i dont think you could notice a difference on your civic.. and you gotta learn how to drive your civic better if you can't judge where your rear end is.. get used to the car more.. haha

Old 07-21-2007, 10:41 AM
HCF Member

well I mean the way the car is designed, with the back sloping slightly up than the front, i find it hard for me to see the end o fthe trunk of the car and the front of the car. So judging the space I have when backing up is all a big guessing game. Same thing with the front, as most of the time I'm either too far or too close and my bumper is gnawing the side walk...

Old 07-21-2007, 10:42 AM
HCF Member

you'll eventually get used to it[8D]

Old 07-21-2007, 10:55 AM

I noticed something of interest on the wiki article about them:

"Spoilers for automobiles are often incorrectly confused with, or even used interchangeably with, wings. Automotive wings are devices whose intended design is to actually generate downforce as air passes around them, not simply disrupt existing airflow patterns."

I always thought wing was synonymous with spoiler. Interesting.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:48 AM
HCF Member

^ wow good find

Old 07-21-2007, 04:38 PM

99% of the spoilers or wings out there they have for Civics, including stock ones are pretty much completely useless, unless your third brake light is in them.

The ones that you can get to create downforce are usually incorrectly setup so they also do not help.

Cars without spoilers are no less stable than cars with them. So do the world a favor and if you don't have a spoiler, don't ruin a trunk lid.

Quick Reply: benefits of a spoiler?