Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

DIY 92-95 climate controls removale and modifying

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 07:20 AM
Snail'n Admin
Default RE: DIY 92-95 climate controls removale and modifying

Agreed, I am not always the best speller, but if I were to do a DIY, then I would take the time to make it look professional. To me, a DIY is a sort of guide book and every guide book I've ever seen is professionally done with correct grammar and spelling and I couldn't, in good conscience, follow a DIY with a lot of errors. Tony is right, just take a few extra minutes to fix it, you'll be glad in the end. Addiction, even though I wouldn't do a lot of your stuff, you seem to know what you're doing and I respect that. Give yourself the same respect and fix your typos.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Recognized HCF Member

THIER I SPELL CHECKED IT FOR THE DIY NATZIs.......
but you didnt say anything about SMILIES!!!!!!! hahahahhaa

i swear... do i get graded for my spelling? o wait does it REALY matter....
a few LOL/LMFAO/ and lets say 10% misspelled worded DIY or NOTHING... ( i didnt take a percentage but im not THAT BAD....
4pages of text and maybe 3dozen spellchecks...

if someone cannt understand what im meaning/typing OR SIMPLE LOOK AT PICTURES DISPLAYED then I REALY DONT THINK THEY SHOULD BE DOING ANYTHING TO THIER CAR BESIDES ADDING GAS TO IT!

and if you realy want the DIY area to be PROFESIONAL then why not SPELL CHECK IT YOURSELF to help out other members? is COPY PASTE and spell check realy to difficult for you to do yourself? help another member out.... thats what im trying to do...

plus its also why i say use the lighting OF YOUR CHOICE.... hell just replacing the bulbs will be good enough for most people! i know im not the only one that has to beat on the dash to have the stock lighting to have at least 1 bulb come on...... no need for BRIGHT @SS colorfull lights.... stock also works....

Old 01-11-2008, 11:51 AM
Administrator

No offense, but it just happens to be very annoying trying to read and understand your type...

and typing half a post in small letters, and the other half in caps, you dont find that to be a little bit annoying? what about changing colors of the text? what about lmfao 5x in one post? how about spelling little words wrong 17 times in a post? we want this to be a site people can go to for grown up information, not "hooked on phonics needin" information.
please, clean it up.

kthnxbye

Old 01-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Recognized HCF Member

o ok.... for a second i thought this was HONDATECH...... people trying to talk down to others.
my bad didnt know this was a PROFESIONAL SITE... why not a "post minimum" to post is FS forum... and why not automaticaly have spell check in the forum as well?

NOTE Laced with Sarcasm--------

well i could have been like quite a few people and typed the WHOLE THING IN CAPS [8D]

took me ruffly 2hours to do the type up and uploading/linking pictures.... give me a break.......

Old 01-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Administrator

you don't get it. we understand that you know what you are talking about when you talk about anything electronic. we can tell you are very skilled at that stuff. now dont you want people to truly respect it by making it look nice when doing at least a diy? i mean, have some respect for yourself.

we don't try to put anyone down, its simply constructive criticism. i mean, no offense again, but you are the only one on here that types like he is 14.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:35 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: My04Civic

you are the only one on here that types like he is 14.
Now you know that's not true.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Administrator

shhh [:-]

Old 01-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member

we don't try to put anyone down, its simply constructive criticism. i mean, no offense again, but you are the only one on here that types like he is 14.
ok so you dont try to put anyone down BUT in the next sentence you say i type like im 14.... hum what do you think if i said the same thing to you....
seems more and more like hondatech to me....

why leave a thread trying to help others, when you can continue to post to try and discredit the author?
why not clean it up, delete all the unhelpfull/critisism posts, and try to help other members or future members?

i hear ALOT about "professional
"
but simply do not see much

No offense, of course...

kthnxbye

Old 01-11-2008, 02:38 PM
June 2010 ROTM

Woo Hoo, witch hunt #2!!!

My04Civic,

You are correcting Addiction's writing style. This is true. You don't use upper cased letters at the beginning of each sentence, but I still understand what you are typing. It's quite odd how that works. I used my vast deduction techniques to figure out that you were beginning new sentences.

I have not seen one bit of constructive criticism in this thread thus far. All I have read is destructive criticism. Addiction spent a lot of time to write this up and post great pictures to go with it. No, he may not be Edgar A. Poe, but his pictures speak for themselves. Of all people, again, I loathe the fact that administators and moderators are not helping but potentially ruining the site that I have become rather fond of. Have some tact please. By posting unconstructive, negative remarks for one of the first posts is not bringing us farther from HT, it's pushing us closer. A simple PM would have avoid this whole personal attack.

Please, everyone, use discretion. PM if you have an issue with someone's post. Don't broadcast it for others to see.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:30 PM

1+ Dano - What I was saying before, you corrected How I see it is that Addicted took PLENTY of time out of his schedule to take extra pictures and a write up for it. Quite bluntly, you guys are being jackasses with your 'constructive criticism'. If you want the site to look so professional, I would think that part of the MODERATOR'S job would be to clean up posts and make them look how you want. Being a moderator means you have obligations and responibilties (of course), this includes fixing posts to resemble how YOU want YOUR site to look. If it's honestly so bad and you can't find 5 minutes to clean up his post that he spent HOURS on then just delete it. I can't believe that a guy who's done plenty of good for this forum (with knowledgable write ups) is getting bashed on for his typing. If you can't read his spelling (though incorrect as it may be) and can't look past the rofl's and lmao's then you have a poor grasp of the English language.

I think it's ridiculous that the poor guy is getting bashed for doing good for people, so I redid the WHOLE write up in a WOPPING 15 minutes. Here it is, if I was a mod I'd consider this thread locked and redone in the DIY section Addicted - hope you don't mind me slightly changing what you typed and how you said it :P

Sorry for not having all of the pictures, but I already did the install before I was asked to do a DIY for this. I have a few pictures, but be warned – you definitely want to wear some gloves or something because the metal under the dash is very sharp. I have cuts all around my hands, but then again I had them in and out several time. It’s really easy to do but a pain in the butt at the same time, to make easier you can remove the passenger seat.

Tools needed: Philips screw driver, soldering gun and solder, LEDs, cold cathodes, or lights of your choice.

1: Remove lower center dash trim panel, 2 screws in the middle going up and one on each side of the panel lower down. Then the trim piece/ cigarette lighter will come off. Now there is a small wire harness, simply push the release button on it and pull the plugs apart and then lay the trim piece to the side. Now here is one thing that depends on your car – the radio. Mine has an aftermarket radio in it with a metal cage. So you have to remove your radio and if it uses a steel mounting cage you have to remove it, it can be annoying, especially depending on how many tabs are in place.

Picture 1

After you have the radio removed the easier parts come, but they’re very tedious. The A/C controls have several wiring harnesses on it, there’s a large plug that goes down behind the trim panel, it’s tied to a metal frame. I personally just took a razor blade and freed the harness. If you follow the large harness you’ll see another small plug that sits level about half way up, unplug it the same way. Now I believe all the wire harnesses are unplugged from the controls, look inside the dash again and follow the A/C controls to see the slide rod that controls the temperature flapper. Look at how it runs through the inside of the dash. I didn’t and when I put it back in I binded the slide cable. Look at the picture below for a reference on how the black cable slide is ran through the dash. Simply push down the tab and pull the cable out.

Picture 2

Now that those three screws are removed just slowly pull out the climate controls.

Part 2: Modifying your climate controls

Here is a picture of those two wire harness plugs I mentioned first

Picture 3

Picture 4

Picture 5

Picture 6

Now that the controls are out of the desk, remove the fan switch unit. There are two plastic prongs that hold it in, simply push them in and pull the control unit out the back. First disconnect the green wire harness and then the rest will come off.

Picture 7

Picture 8

Now there is a round plastic clip that holds on the other metal control rod. This plastic clip is tough to get off, just work at it and turn it so it slides over and lifts off. Then just pull the rod out of the pivot point.

Picture 9

Picture 10

Now there’s that black metal part that runs over the unit. There are two screws on both sides and I think there was one in the middle as well, remove those and pull the black metal part off and set it to the side.

Picture 11

Picture 12

Now start pulling these little snaps to pull the face off. There are two on top and one on each side. Now that the face is off, take off the rear casing, three snaps on top. I think there’s a screw in there, but it’s also a clip, be sure to pull it back as well, it’s in the middle.

Picture 13

Picture 14

With those popped over a little the case should slide out, but they will be a little tight.

Picture 15

Now you have the board

Picture 16

Pull the lights straight out and snip the wires off. And now you start adding your lighting, if you flip the controls over where the wires are soldered on the back of the board this what the wires are –

Picture 17

Picture 18

Solder your positive and negative wires from your lighting source to those terminals. I used dual 4 inch cathodes. To use cold cathodes you want to remove the bulb from their casing. Simply power them up for a few minutes then slightly pull on the end where the wires go in, the head of the lights being on should warm the flue enough and the bulbs just slide out.

Picture 19

Now I used some hot glue to glue the bulbs in to the climate control housing. BE VERY CAREFULL WITH THE BULBS! Make sure the bare wires don’t touch each other.

Picture 20

Picture 21

Run the wires through the bulb opening

Picture 22

Now the easy plugs those wire in to the cold cathodes transformer and snap it all together.

Picture 23

After snapping the unit back together and such I only reinstalled the rear mounting screw on the controls because those front 2 angled screws were a pain to remove and I didn’t want to reinstall them.

Part 3: If you removed you’re A/C system

You can modify the wires and use some relays to wire in your own toys, lights, security, etc.

Picture 24

Just cut these two wires, tape off the wires that go back in to the harness going to the car to prevent it from shorting anything.

Picture 25

I recommend using a relay to power your lights from this switch since it is so small and I don’t see much current flowing through it to high…http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ertrick-11.flv This is a video of my switch connected to some LED lights.

Picture 26

Wire one of those cut A/C wires to an ignition source and fuse it with a low rated fuse. Then connect the second wire to the relays ‘remote turn on leads and then just like the picture, the one terminal to the fuse box also fused to what your aftermarket lights are rated at. And then run a wire from the output terminal 30 connection on

Quick Reply: DIY 92-95 climate controls removale and modifying