Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

do I get a diffuser or spoiler or neither?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 10:34 AM
HCF Member
Default do I get a diffuser or spoiler or neither?

I've read numerous replies to a question I had about spoilers on Yahoo Answers (before I found this site) that spoilers are just for show on all cars that have anything but a V8. There were a couple people that disagreed though. There were also people that said that if you have front wheel drive, a spoiler is just going to create more drag anyway. Then thisone guyrecommended getting a diffuser. And then there was of course someone who debunked diffusers too and said they will only create drag for front wheel drive cars and/or cars that don't have V8 engines just like spoilers. They also said if you're trying to keep relatively decent gas mileage, a spoiler will just screw that up if you have front wheel drive cuz of the drag. What's the skinny on all of this? The guy I bought my civic from already had a spoiler, but he took it off and covered up the holes with black duct tape. He gave me the spoiler so I can put it back on if I want to. What does a diffuser do anyway? And is there any difference between spoilers and wings and do they create drag on front wheel drive cars? I just got off bodykits.com, where my Lambo door hinges were purchased, according to the guy, and the site has separate links for spoilers and wings which is why I asked the latter question... Thanks for any info.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Default RE: do I get a diffuser or spoiler or neither?

well as for the diffusers i wouldnt know. however the spoilers are not gonna help at all unless you mount it on your hood in which case seeing around the spoiler is gonna be a pain. spoilers can be used on other cars too. i see evos and 350zs and wrxs with spoilers in racing tracks and stuff all the time.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:56 AM

I've read numerous replies to a question I had about spoilers on Yahoo Answers (before I found this site) that spoilers are just for show on all cars that have anything but a V8.
not ture. plenty of fwd, awd, and rwdcars, 4-12 cylinder, 100hp-1000hp, can benefit from it on the track. on the streets, it dosnt matter what car, how much power, or anything because u just wont be reaching speeds high enough to make it beneficial(assuming ur driving within resonable speeds).

Then thisone guyrecommended getting a diffuser. And then there was of course someone who debunked diffusers too and said they will only create drag for front wheel drive cars and/or cars that don't have V8 engines just like spoilers.
again, uesless on the streets no matter what car/power.

They also said if you're trying to keep relatively decent gas mileage, a spoiler will just screw that up if you have front wheel drive cuz of the drag. What's the skinny on all of this?
it can affect all cars, fwd, awd, rwd...and only possibly true depending on the spoiler. if its like small oem style,the decrease in mpg would be extremely small if at all any.if its some huge silly APC wing tilted so its practicallyvertical, then yes it'll create unwanted drag but even still, the mpg lost wouldnt be very noticable.

What does a diffuser do anyway?
improves aerodynamics and creates downforce.

And is there any difference between spoilers and wings and do they create drag on front wheel drive cars?
most wont create very much drag, what ur lookingfor with a spoiler is downforce. at higher speeds, u need downforce for the tires to grip the pavement. in a straight line and fwd cars, a rear spoiler isnt really needed. in road racing circumstances, its usefull since they take turns at 70+mph and need to keep those rear tires down to prevent the tail from swinging out and losing control. again, it dosnt matter fwd, rwd, awd, a huge wing tilted vertical will creat unwanted drag.

spoilers and diffusers, unless reaching speeds access of 100mph and taking hard/fast turns, are useless. they arnt going to make u faster on the streets if thats what ur getting at. i wouldnt waste money on it unless it was a show car or actual track car.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:05 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: civicexracer

I've read numerous replies to a question I had about spoilers on Yahoo Answers (before I found this site) that spoilers are just for show on all cars that have anything but a V8.
not ture. plenty of fwd, awd, and rwdcars, 4-12 cylinder, 100hp-1000hp, can benefit from it on the track. on the streets, it dosnt matter what car, how much power, or anything because u just wont be reaching speeds high enough to make it beneficial(assuming ur driving within resonable speeds).

Then thisone guyrecommended getting a diffuser. And then there was of course someone who debunked diffusers too and said they will only create drag for front wheel drive cars and/or cars that don't have V8 engines just like spoilers.
again, uesless on the streets no matter what car/power.

They also said if you're trying to keep relatively decent gas mileage, a spoiler will just screw that up if you have front wheel drive cuz of the drag. What's the skinny on all of this?
it can affect all cars, fwd, awd, rwd...and only possibly true depending on the spoiler. if its like small oem style,the decrease in mpg would be extremely small if at all any.if its some huge silly APC wing tilted so its practicallyvertical, then yes it'll create unwanted drag but even still, the mpg lost wouldnt be very noticable.

What does a diffuser do anyway?
improves aerodynamics and creates downforce.

And is there any difference between spoilers and wings and do they create drag on front wheel drive cars?
most wont create very much drag, what ur lookingfor with a spoiler is downforce. at higher speeds, u need downforce for the tires to grip the pavement. in a straight line and fwd cars, a rear spoiler isnt really needed. in road racing circumstances, its usefull since they take turns at 70+mph and need to keep those rear tires down to prevent the tail from swinging out and losing control. again, it dosnt matter fwd, rwd, awd, a huge wing tilted vertical will creat unwanted drag.

spoilers and diffusers, unless reaching speeds access of 100mph and taking hard/fast turns, are useless. they arnt going to make u faster on the streets if thats what ur getting at. i wouldnt waste money on it unless it was a show car or actual track car.
Thanks. You answered all my questions and then some.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:13 PM
HCF Member

I guess now I might as well sell the spoiler I have on craigslist.org. Hell if I'm gonna ship that thing to someone on Ebay. It's not vertical like you said or heavy. It's nice and light. But still.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:00 PM
HCF Member

I always have got a good laugh at the civics with a big ol- spoiler on the back fo them...