Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Faded windshield wipers

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 05:44 AM
HCF Member
Default Faded windshield wipers

what paint can I use to refinish my windshield wipers? The black has faded and flaked off, so im guessing im going to need to sand off the old paint but im not sure what would be best to sand it with?

Old 05-21-2008, 08:23 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Faded windshield wipers

either:

a) sand it down, prime it, and paint it with a semi-gloss black

or

b) buy new ones from dealer

Old 05-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i just clean mine and paint them black. nothing to serious..... just take them off the car. tho it depends how flaked up they are.... if you want it to really last then sand them down to the shiny metal and then prime and paint. i redo mine every spring due to flaking!

if ya got alittle palm sander it will work right thru the paint in no time at all!
semi flat black is probably the color of choice.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:45 PM
HCF Member

lol, that's exactly why i like my sand blaster...

Old 05-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

o ya thats a idea.LOL where you buy your fine sand for it? i bought alittle sand blaster gun. real cheapie but have no idea where to buy alittle really fine blasting stuff for soft metals..... only thing my dads got is big @ss buckets of really ruff frame blasting sand.LOL

Old 05-21-2008, 03:44 PM
HCF Member

go to northern tool if you have one near by

Old 05-21-2008, 07:16 PM
HCF Member

i painted mine graphite grey to match the car and also clear coated them. however i now know why they were painted flat black cuz they glisten in the sunlight. keep that in mind if you paint them glossy.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:18 PM
HCF Member

that's why you use a semi gloss, you don't have to use a flat based aerosol

Old 05-23-2008, 07:20 AM
HCF Member

most auto body shops use a can of trim black to all small pieces like that and if you get good paint you cant even tell you used a can, looks like new. yeah i wouldn't sand blast them, i would sand off the flaking stuff and blend in the older paint and they will look fine, thats what the auto body shop where i used to work would do

Old 05-23-2008, 10:06 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: colby_666

most auto body shops use a can of trim black to all small pieces like that and if you get good paint you cant even tell you used a can, looks like new. yeah i wouldn't sand blast them, i would sand off the flaking stuff and blend in the older paint and they will look fine, thats what the auto body shop where i used to work would do
that's because body shops do a lot of things to save money and save time, and don't suggest "not" sandblasting them, because you will get a lot better finish with doing so. and it's not good to use trim paint directly on metal, it's made for plastics and other abs materials which are considered "trim". a trim paint can won't last any time in the weather on a hot piece of metal.

Quick Reply: Faded windshield wipers