Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 06:50 PM
HCF Member
Default Headlight

Ok so i have been really looking at getting some HIDs onto my car. I went to a shop and asked a guy how much to order and blah blah. He told me I needed to find out what bulb size my projectors were. I'm pretty much a noob at lighting stuff lol. I really don't want to take my bumper off and go through all that hassle to find out, and I also don't even know which of my lights would be affected by the HID kit.
I drive a 2003 Canadian Si coupe. Which is LX?? i think in america. I have a set of ebay projectors, that didn't come with anything telling me what size. From what I've read and heard, I think they might be H1. But I have no clue lol. So if anyone knows that would be tight.
Also, which lights would turn cool looking lol. Would the daytime runnings? the park light? The dome shaped light thingy? Sorry for all the questions that sound really stupid, because to you guys they are, but I'm basically a noob lol.

Any info would be great. I dont have any pictures of the headlights, due to camera loss and me not being smart enough to know how to put cell pictures on the comp..

Thanks fellas! Hope you can help!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:59 PM
HCF Member

i'm guessing different makes have different bulbs. i've heard H1 and i've heard H3. i'm guessing low beam is H1 and high beam is H3. most likely i believe you are getting the HID's for your low beam so it would H1. wait for someone to confirm this as i am not 100% sure.

Si in Canada is an EX in U.S.

your question, "which lights would turn cool looking lol. Would the daytime runnings? the park light? The dome shaped light thingy? Sorry for all the questions that sound really stupid, because to you guys they are, but I'm basically a noob lol." i dont really get that question. i'm guessing which lights does the HID's work with? it's just the low beam unless you are getting a kit for the high beam also. you might want to rephrase this question

Old 01-23-2009, 01:03 PM
HCF Member

This is from Wikipedia, not the most reliable source I know, but still.

For the Canadian market, there were different models, up until 2003, there were DX and LX models on both Sedan's and Coupes, with the Coupes having the Si trim as well. In 2003, there was also the addition of a 30th Anniversary Edition of all models, as well as a Sport model for Sedans. For 2004, the DX model was replaced by a Special Edition model and the previous Sport model was replaced by a LX-g trim. That year also saw the inclusion of a Si trim for the sedan, giving it an engine used by the Si coupe, new wheels, new seats and Carbon Fiber trim pieces on the interior.
And yo check your light size you should just have to open your hood, and pull a bulb out from the back of the headlight unit. I could be wrong as i have never worked on a a 7th gen.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:40 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by sfazngiants
i'm guessing different makes have different bulbs. i've heard H1 and i've heard H3. i'm guessing low beam is H1 and high beam is H3. most likely i believe you are getting the HID's for your low beam so it would H1. wait for someone to confirm this as i am not 100% sure.

Si in Canada is an EX in U.S.

your question, "which lights would turn cool looking lol. Would the daytime runnings? the park light? The dome shaped light thingy? Sorry for all the questions that sound really stupid, because to you guys they are, but I'm basically a noob lol." i dont really get that question. i'm guessing which lights does the HID's work with? it's just the low beam unless you are getting a kit for the high beam also. you might want to rephrase this question
Ok that makes sense. So if I were to get a kit, my daytime runnings would still be yellow? That answers a lot thanks

Old 01-23-2009, 08:42 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Tiran
This is from Wikipedia, not the most reliable source I know, but still.

And yo check your light size you should just have to open your hood, and pull a bulb out from the back of the headlight unit. I could be wrong as i have never worked on a a 7th gen.
yeah unfortunately theres not enough room for that. Theres barely enough room to get to my signal bulb under the hood. I have to take the bumper off to get at anything. Thanks for the reply though..

Guess I'm waiting til it gets warmer to do anything lol.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by sfazngiants
other way around most likely
some projectors use H1 for low beam and then another H1 for high beam, and then some use H3 for low, H1 for high.

Originally Posted by bretzky.6
Ok that makes sense. So if I were to get a kit, my daytime runnings would still be yellow? That answers a lot thanks
Daytime running lights don't work with HIDs. They will try to start up but they won't, because there won't be enough voltage. You will have to take out the daytime running light fuse and then remember to always turn your headlights on.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:07 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
other way around most likely
some projectors use H1 for low beam and then another H1 for high beam, and then some use H3 for low, H1 for high.

Daytime running lights don't work with HIDs. They will try to start up but they won't, because there won't be enough voltage. You will have to take out the daytime running light fuse and then remember to always turn your headlights on.
ohh ok. Thanks for the help. So the high beam is for sure H1? And I just have to find out the low beam?

Old 01-24-2009, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by bretzky.6
ohh ok. Thanks for the help. So the high beam is for sure H1? And I just have to find out the low beam?
There's no way I can tell you for sure what bulbs are what without looking at them for myself. The high beams are probably H1, and then the lows are probably either H3 or H1. It might say the bulb size on the front of the headlight at the bottom, on the clear lens. If it doesn't, just take the bulbs out and look. It should be engraved on the metal base of the bulb. Here's some pictures though, for a visual aid.

(bulb color doesn't matter)
H3:

H1:

Old 01-25-2009, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by whitealexander
so H3 has bigger bulb?
they're around the same size. why does that matter?

Old 01-29-2009, 03:30 PM
HCF Member

Ok so instead of unplugging the fuse for the daytime running lights, when I get the HID's, what do you think about buying a "HID like" bulb from wal mart or whatever and putting that in the daytime runnings? I know it's kind of stupid for headlight bulbs, with it overheating and melting stuff, but theres less voltage to the daytimes, so would it be alright in there?
So pretty much, what do you think about that?