Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

honda cancer fix, need help with paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 09:21 PM
HCF Member
Default honda cancer fix, need help with paint

so i did my best to fix the rear quarter panel on my civic:
[IMG][/IMG]

heres what it currently looks like:

[IMG][/IMG]

what should i do about the paint? would it be possible to blend the new paint in so it isn't very noticeable? should i just get the matching paint in a rattle can?

Old 05-01-2011, 09:44 PM
HCF Member

oh and if anyone wants to know how i did this i'll give a quick runthrough.

i used an angle grinder to get rid of all loose paint and most of the rust:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

then i used a bendable peice of aluminum to reshape the wheel arch. i then cut out a peice of sheet metal and welded it into place using a mig arc welder (the mig was too hot, i would use a tig if you can have access to one). you could also rivet the metal into place if you dont have a welder.

then i started with the bondo. [IMG][/IMG]

i put on about 6 layers so i could get the right shape. i used the other quarter panel as a "guide" which was helpful.i sanded after each layer of bondo and then used spot putty to fill in any little holes. now im about ready to paint, although i'm probably going to do the rust by the door this week and then paint it all together.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:28 AM
HCF Member

Yikes! You forgot an important part. Using some type of acid or rust neutralizer before bondo/paint :/ Even after sanding off there are microscopic rust particles you have to get rid of or it'll come back!

Old 05-02-2011, 07:10 AM
HCF Member

I forgot to write that, I used a rust paint too

Old 05-02-2011, 12:03 PM
HCF Member

I'm not sure but that might not neutralize old rust particles. Next time to be safe buy some anti rust acid at your nearest car parts place. It's pretty cheap and a great precaution.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:06 PM
HCF Member

You're also going to have a hard time with the door. My guess is that it's rusted in the crimping of the door as well (where the metal folds over on the edge) and it's impossible to sand that out. You could try this stuff that turns iron oxide into iron phosphide--a usable metal but I tried that on my hood where rust was in the crimping and it didn't work. When done you can try to rattlecan it, but I've found if you're doing a large area it doesn't last real great. I plan to buy a cheap paintgun this summer and try that to see if that works any better.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:14 PM
HCF Member

My dad has a high end sata gun and paint booth I'm just not sure how to get the panel off the car and into the booth

Old 05-02-2011, 12:17 PM
HCF Member

And I'll try my best to get all the rust off the door and then try to use the iron phosphide stuff

Old 05-02-2011, 03:58 PM
HCF Member

It can't be too hard to take the panel off, but if you don't want to, just mask it off an you'll be fine.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:57 PM
HCF Member

here's what it looks like done, i need to find a way to pull the bumper back out so it's flush with the wheel well though.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: honda cancer fix, need help with paint