Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

i think this is gonna look sick...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 11:17 AM
HCF Member
Default i think this is gonna look sick...

First off, i need an answer to a quick question...can u cut plexiglass with powertools(drills and hand held saw)? will it crack? they want like $50 to do it and i wanna know, if i put the time into it, can i cut the plexiglass myself. the reason...

im putting switches in my change holder. instead of using some piece of plastic, i wanted to use glass. i was told it is too small of oa space and with the holes the glass would break quickly. thus, decided to use plexiglass. im putting 3 led switches in there with the plexiglass. i am going to tint to glass in attempt to hide the wires and whatnot and put an led behind the tint for a little bit of a glow. how do you think that will look?

Old 01-30-2007, 11:50 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: i think this is gonna look sick...

dude, that would look sick, really ingenious idea

i've seen plexiglass cut with a band sex going really really slow, but thats a small area for 3 swtiches, i could MAYBE see two in there, but it seems like itd be really thin pieces to get 3 swithces in there. The LED behind it would look sick too

Old 01-30-2007, 12:03 PM

you realize plexiglass isn't really glass, right?

Yes, it you can cut it without cracking...or at least I can. Just go slow.

Also, what are the switches for?

Old 01-30-2007, 01:37 PM
HCF Member

Ive cut it before......youre supposed to take a regular circular saw blade and turn it the other way, this way it wont chip the plexi......or you could spend 50$ on a really good blade that will do the trick.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:09 PM
HCF Member

if he's gonna spend 50$ on a nice blade, might aswell let the other guys do it. if you have acces to a band saw. and when you cut it, if the teeth are pointing down have the top of the plexiglass going towards the blade. it will make a clean cut on the top.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:35 PM
HCF Member

YA I KNOW PLEXISGLASS ISNT GLASS...i originally wanted glass, but i was talked out of it cuz of the price and the fact that it break with the slightest pressure due to the holes for the switches...

the switches are for various things...underbody neons, interior neons, etc

Old 01-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Recognized HCF Member

no need for special blade!

now if the plexiglass is realy thin then you need to just use a razor blade and just keep scoring the plexiglass.....
BUT if its thick enough you can simply use a metal cuting blade and as long as ya go slow.....

thats how i did my switch panel for my truck.... and after i cut it and drilled out the holes i just spray painted the back side and then pushed in the switches

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...0extcab004.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...0extcab006.jpg

just looks as if they are floating i love it.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:45 PM
HCF Member

I was going to use plexi glass for a old project.

Its a hell of a time to cut, I gave up. I was using a power saw and it just melted the plexi glass back toughter once it was cut. I gave up and smashed it.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya thats why ya go slow and if it melts and fusses back together just pull the blade out and cool it down... and go over it again.... but mainly its best to use a decent thickness of plexiglass..

Old 01-30-2007, 03:54 PM
HCF Member

I tried to go slow, but it was worse. And if you take the blade out it still melts toughter. Then after it melted I tried to cut it again and it would crack.

Quick Reply: i think this is gonna look sick...