Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

inside neons

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 12:33 PM
Default inside neons

Hi everybody,

I have a civic coupe 2004 special edition and I would like to add some neons inside. I got one from wal mart but it plugs into the 12V lighter plug and I don't like the result at all. I would like to plug it somewhere else. So, here is my question: where could I connect it, without breaking the car's warranty or causing major problems. It's my first car and I'm not used with the electrical wiring of a vehicle. So please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks a lot.

Old 11-19-2004, 12:51 AM
Default RE: inside neons

Maybe you could hook them up under your seats. So when you open the car doors, they light up along with a dome light. I am not sure how you would do that.

Since it's a brand new car, messing with any sort of wiring would void the warrenty i would guess. And if you do go under the seats lay them right. My friend put some lights under his seat and it set off his airbags lights. New honda seats have sensors everywhere, and somehow the wiring screwd that up.

Old 11-19-2004, 01:20 AM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 11-19-2004, 08:34 AM
HCF Member

if you touch the wiring in your car, most dealerships will not honour the warranty. unless the prblem is unrelated. like if some fan belt is broken they should replace it if you only messed with the electrical system.

as for wiring it up, one way some people wire internal accessories is to wire it to the fuse box.

Old 11-20-2004, 01:10 AM
HCF Member

It's all about the neon tubes under the dash by the driver's and passenger's feet. Whatever you do man, DON'T CUT WIRES!!! Strip and seal them with electrical tape. Get a wiring diagram for your car so they can light up with your doors opening or with an on/off switch. Good luck.

Old 11-20-2004, 10:12 AM
HCF Member

fuse box is definately the way to go. quick and easy... 2 wires and a switch.

Old 11-22-2004, 08:34 AM

HI, thanks a lot to everyone!

Old 12-05-2004, 08:39 PM

Here's what I did: I wanted to have two diffrent sets of neons for the front. (one blue set, one black light set). I mounted the blue set on the bottem front of the seat with 2 sided tape. But so that you could not see them looking into the car or while in the car. The 2nd set I mounted under the dash. I ran all the wires that came with the neons over to the driver side, next to my left leg. From there I ran a wire coming off of my battery, one hooking up from inside the external fusebox and one grounded to one of the holes close-by. I took that wire and ran it over to the driver side with all of the other wires. After adding an in-line fuse to keep it safe, just use a switch and hook them up like regular neons.

Old 02-27-2005, 12:43 PM
HCF Member

i had a 94 pontiac sunbird, i had 2 nean lights under the dash and 2 neon lights in the back of my car..i ran 2 wires from my battery to switches, then the power wire from the neons to the switchs and grounded them anywere on the body..it worked perfect. I wouldent recomend gettin neon tubes from wall-mart tho, get street glow, there a little more expensive but they will last forever

Old 02-27-2005, 09:48 PM

I've never ran mine to switches, I pretty much did it harder. I cut the ciggarette plug off and ran the power wire to a fuse in my car, or stripped a power wire for something such as the ashtray lighter and hooked it to that, then I just ran the ground around a bolt on the car. Hint: If your wires are too short, which is most often the case, take some speaker wire like you would use for your subs or speakers and attach that to the power wire, and take another piece and attach to the ground wire, VWALLA! - You now have longer wires which can reach to where you need them to be. I think I use 18 guage, it's kinda ghetto but hey, it works. Just hide the wires, no one will ever know...

P.S. Since I've never done the switch thing can someone explain the process to me, cus I have a switch BUT it has 3 places for wires? One is ground, one is power, whats the other? Just another power I think...Help me out guys!

Quick Reply: inside neons