Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

I've found my new valve cover paint job

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 10:32 AM
Super Cereal Admin
Default I've found my new valve cover paint job

Like the title says, I've officially found the new paint scheme I'm going to do my valve cover in. It's really JDM (like really JDM), and that's probably why I like it. That, and I think it's a cool design. I think I might even do itin wrinkle-coat. It's going to obviously look a little different on my sohc cover than it does on the dohc in the pic:

I think it looks pretty cool... I'm probably going to wrap my header (black wrap) and everything... I'm a little iffy about shaving my valve cover, though... then again, this paint wouldn't look near as good if it had the lettering still.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Default RE: I've found my new valve cover paint job

you can do mine too!!! ill post you it now.
lol looks niiiice go for it.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Recognized HCF Member

o ya you could do SOMTHING like that... tho i would sugest puting down one color and where the second color meets sand that paint line down so its smooth then come back over that paint alittle and then tape off that area so the second color overlaps it alittle then just sand it very minor on the paint line. and clear

your only problem is gonna be making it flow.. if ya just take it off and paint it youll have a THICK paint line and well i dont think wrinkle would look that great with some paint lines in it..... and with shaving the cover... well i dont think ya can.... if ya mean to sand off the raised lettering........ i think youd be best to just BUY a aftermarket i THINK OBX makes a valve cover thats smooth.... then just get it and paint it smooth... if the smooth doesnt turn out THEN try the wrinkle paint... just my opinion tho...

Old 06-30-2007, 11:33 AM
Super Cereal Admin

I think I might get a new valve cover (just in case I majorly mess up the one I have) and paint one of 'em... they're like $40 for a brand-new (I like brand-new lol)one on Auto Parts Warehouse. I'll probably have my friend grind & sand down the lettering.. he's done it before to valve covers.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:24 PM
HCF Member

that bad *** i wish i would have done that before i painted mine black but good luck post some pics when u paint it

Old 06-30-2007, 01:43 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well if ya think you can grind them smooth then go for it BUT if your buying a brand new one.... why not just BUY one thats already smooth.LOL

tho it looks like 100bucks ruffly for a new one off ebay... they got red ones and chrome ones...

heck just buy a red one and just tape off and paint over it with smooth white paint

Old 06-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Well if you can find a smooth valve cover (please no ebay.. I can't stand that site lol), pleasepost up a link... I've been looking, but I can't find one. Personally, I'd prefer not to have to grind down the letters, but if I can't find a smooth one, I'll probably end up grinding them down.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm probably not going to do the wrinkle-coat thing. I've been looking at the picture more and I think if it were wrinkle-coat, it wouldn't look near as clean.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:47 PM

where do you guys get new valve covers, in different colors. Do you have to paint it yourself? Mines is rough looking and stained up.

Thanks.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:48 PM
HCF Member

man that thing looks sick. make sure you get us some pics of your progress.whatever you end up doin im sure its gonna look sweet!

Old 07-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well i always buy from ebay... and pay with paypal....
just check thier feedback and if ya dont like thier feedback or lack of feedback then just find another seller....
ive only had a few problems...

Quick Reply: I've found my new valve cover paint job