Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

made myself a tow hook

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 05:18 PM
HCF Member

well i work at the ls starrett company in athol MA. im in the special gage department that specializes in gages for all kinds of things, every gage we build is for one dimension for one part and sometimes is only used a couple times, they are very expensive and can range from about $3000-$50,000 for one gage. so we use all kinds of material to build with for the different applications and 6061 is the common plate aluminum for a lot of our c-frame gages so we always have like 2 4x4 foot sheets of each thickness laying around lol

this is a link to what i do
http://www.starrett.com/pages/459_gallery.cfm

Old 07-12-2009, 05:25 PM

Black wrinkle paint ftw!!! Post up a pic of the wrinkle black if/when you paint it.

Let me know if you decide to make an extra. Good work overall.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:24 PM
HCF Member

i would gladly buy one off you. Let me know!!!. Also if you decide to make a front one too, I would buy that also. LOOKS AWESOME good work!

Old 07-12-2009, 06:41 PM

I don't think tow hooks look good in general but this looks just as good as any you'd buy from an online store, so goal achieved.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:59 PM
March 2010 ROTM

^ Im not a fan of the looks too much, but I had to have my car towed a few weeks ago when my slave cylinder went out, and it makes me want a front tow hook. I hated seeing my bumper and lip flexing a lot trying to get it on a flat bed.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Snail'n Admin

Nice work. Not really a fan of the tow hooks but it definitely looks good. Any plans for paint or powdercoating?

Old 07-13-2009, 05:07 PM
HCF Member

no plans to paint this one but i guess i might have to make a couple more when i get a chance and see about paint and maybe sell a couple.

the black wrinkle looks great, i have done a couple things with it for me so far, tomorrow ill try to get a good pic of my B18 valve cover that has the black wrinkle but i dont know if it will show how nice it really is, this stuff is great and heat resistant up to like 500 degrees or something like that

so since im going to make a couple more one day does anyone know if the different models of the same era civic at least have the same dimensions as far as being away from the bumper and the same size stock tow hook?

Old 07-13-2009, 06:41 PM
HCF Member

i pm`d you about one!!!!

Old 07-16-2009, 10:46 AM

Great job!! u should've paint it red

Old 08-13-2009, 03:03 PM
HCF Member

just a little up date since some people were interested in tow hooks, dont really have the time to make any now but im trying to find some one of these days.

i tryed to get a pic cof the black wrinkle but you cant see what it really looks like from a pic.

and yesterday i was unfortunate enough to figure out how tough these tow hooks really are. i was rear ended at 20 mph and i pulled up the road a little cause it was on a bridge so i pulled up and went to pull over and he flew by me, i flew after him about 100 yards and then he stomped the braked and got out. i was started to get out and he was swearing and saying he was gonna punch me and slammed the door on me back shut, i then called the cops, gave them the plate number right before he got back in his car and sped away, the cops said they knew the guy from the description since he has tattoos on his face it was easy. i then got to look at the back of my car which was why i was pist, i just replaced the front bumper the week before. well i couldn't tell anything happened at all hmmmm wtf? it was kinda dark then so i looked after work, there was paint from his bumper right on the end of the tow hook, and if you stand above it, it is bent maybe 1/8 inch but the good news, nothing at all happened to my bumper. the cops had me then go to the police station to gave another complain cause the got the guy. his bumper is totally ruined hahahahahahaha i was so happy that he ruined it i just started laughing. it was cracked in half and hanging. in the end the only thing i could press charges for was assault and battery but i didnt cause he just yelled and slammed my door and no damage to the car at all so they gave him a warning and let him go and not even a written warning, just verbal but in the end my tow hook saved my bumper and probably the whole hatch and idk about the normal tow hooks that you can buy that you adjust where ever you want and tighten them but im guessing from a rear end crash it would just bend down, well mind didnt move at all, take that all those big name companies with expensive tow hooks that dont work as good( im assuming lol but from being a machinist and training for engineering i think i have a reasonable opinion)

Quick Reply: made myself a tow hook