Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Need serious help with major foul-ups

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 11:08 AM
Default Need serious help with major foul-ups

As embarrassing as this is, I am going to post here hoping someone will help me and that not too many will make fun of me...

I have a '94 civic dx. I want to customize everything on it but don't have very much money. So what I have been doing is trusting my friends who say they can help me. Which is very dumb.

My body kit looks like crap. My paint job looks like crap. My front fender is cracked in the middle. My rear fender was hit and has a dent. My side skirts don't fit right (they were worse but took it to body shop and they did what they could). Oh yeah and I never painted the kit, so it is a dirty primer color (car is white, also dirty).

Besides this... stereo stolen, wires loose. Turn signals malfunctioning. Gauge cluster no longer lights up.

Immediate fixes: I need to get my turn signals and other electronics working. It'd be nice to fix the cracks and dents on the body kit. I have not done anything performance wise since I do not plan on racing ('cept for exhaust), but I would love to do some little things just so my car is more enjoyable to drive. I've looked into cold air intakes.

Any advice that is easy on the bank account would help. Despite my idiocy I love my car and really want to help it.

Please.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Default RE: Need serious help with major foul-ups

well i was in the same boat about a year ago only i did all the terrible damage to my car. basically if you have all of the stock pieces still for your car, put them back on, if your body kit is cracked and your fenders, sand them down almost bare and find someone(over 18) that has experience with bodywork, see if they can teach you how to fix what damage is there.

If your paint job looks like crap sand your car down and prime it.
Get a job.
check your fuse box for blown or loose fuses
If you are low on cash and want an intake, hit up some local junk yards and ask if they have your year car. normally they keep like cars together soi there will be many imports. look under the hood of each, find an intake and take it off to see if it fits,if it does you can either pay them the five bucks or throw it over the fence and pick it up later.
before letting your friends **** up your car, look and see how bad they did their own rides and decide if you really wanna drive around like that

Old 03-22-2006, 11:31 AM
HCF Member

First you need to fix the loose wires and then replace the blown fuses...that should take car of the blinkers and gages. There are a lot of hacks out there that TRY to do body work...better of taking it to the pro's right from the start. My old man has been doing body work for 40 years now so I know quite a bit about it. A good body shop will be able to make the body kit look better...but only as good as they kit will alow...and at a high cost. I'm not a big fan of after market body kits because they never fit right and you see so many people throw them on unpainted....now I understand you need to make sure it fits right first but take the dang thing off and paint it when you get done doing that. If you really want the car to look right it will cost you...sorry bro.

do you have any pics?

Old 03-22-2006, 04:37 PM

I appreciate the insight. I will get some pics up when I take them.

Justin

Old 03-22-2006, 04:40 PM

I am definitely going to sand and reprime my car when I have time. Hopefully sooner than later.

*L* I do have a job, but I also have rent to pay, food to buy and other life necessities... Applying to a new job soon which will pay much more. My car is going to be a huge priority if I land that. Then maybe I will actually have some good things to say about it.

Justin

Old 03-22-2006, 05:42 PM
HCF Member

what about the kit?..you could fix it with some fiberglassing and body filler and paint, or just take it off and put your stock bumpers back on

Old 03-22-2006, 06:19 PM

Where are you located? Im good with body work and electrical work and would be willing to help you for cheap/free. Im located in upstate ny, let me know man I love making cars look pretty.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:21 PM

first take the stock pieces and put them back on. (if u have them) then fix the blinker stuff as well. everyone thinks it the fuses then most likely it is. i don't know to much about auto electrical. after that wash it and clean it out very good. that always makes me enjoy my car alot more when i drive it. wipe the dash off and dust everything. make it very clean. after that go to auto zone and get the universal intake. i know it is made by apc but u said your not trying to make it fast just look nice right well its polished and it will look good under the hood and make u feel like u at least have something done. also clean the motor. make a day of it. invite some of your friends over and BBQ and drink some beer and clean your motor. also if u live anywhere near granite city IL i will help u with the body work. i went to school at SWIC for automotive collision repair and now transfering to ranken tech in Aug. so u pay for materials and ill help u do it. then look on ebay for some lowing springs. they are real easy to install and takes no time to do. lets see some pics first though and well see if u have to replace that quarter panel.

Old 03-23-2006, 01:04 AM
HCF Member

Whats wrong with the body kit exactly? Is it cracked like its hanging on by a thread? Or just some light cracks? I would suggest spending the 15 bucks on some bondo and fine sandpaper......spread the bondo on it and sand it.....do it on both sides. Coat, dry sand, repeat that until you are satisfied with the results. As far as the lights go, check for obvious things first.......blown fuses/bulbs or fried wires. Best of luck. Remember, we are here to help. -Pete

Old 03-26-2006, 02:57 PM

I am definitely interested in fixing up the dents and scratches in my body kit myself. thanks for the advice. is there anything more about bondo you can tell me? can i get it at kragen? home depot? is it easy to use?

justin

Quick Reply: Need serious help with major foul-ups