Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Painting the 'Trim'

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 12:48 PM
Default Painting the 'Trim'

First off the black 'trim' on the sides on my car here:

What is it called? I am looking for parts, and I can't figure out what it is called. The front piece is falling off the driver side, and I've got it on with tape right now. [:-]

And what is the best way to paint it? Take it off? How does it come off? I can't figure it out.

Mask around it?

Prime, Paint, Clear? Sand anywhere in there?

Any/all suggestions mightly welcome!

Old 08-29-2005, 01:45 PM
Default RE: Painting the 'Trim'

Here in the U.K we refer to them as "bump strips".

Oh boy did they give me a headache, when I took mine off the front rear screws were so rusty the sheared off. Then all the plastic clips snapped off.

For the main door part, on mine there is one screw on the rear inside of the door, unscrew that ( or shear it off lol). Then you just need to carefully poke something under the strip itself and prize it out. There are some little clips that pop out when you do this.

For the other two bits, carefully prize them out the same way as the door one, there are no screws to remove.

When it comes to painting

1 - Rough them up a little with a scotchbrite pad, or some 600 wet an dry paper (used dry)

2 - Hit them with some gray primer, wait 15 mins btween coats. Use thin coats instead of thick coats.

3 - Very lightly rub them down with some 600-800 wet and dry paper to remove any imperfections.
(if the finish is good then dont bother)

4 - Spray on your colour, 3 light coats should do the trick.

5 - One or Two coats of clear, let them dry for a while, then re attach.

Hope this helps

Old 08-29-2005, 01:48 PM

Oh, If like me your clips snap off when you remove them, use some double sided adhesive tape to reattach them.

Before you laugh, I'm not talking crappy kids craft tape. Make sure its some heavy duty stuff, 3M make some.

Be sure to wipe down the bodywork where the strips go with some degreaser/cleaner.

Old 08-29-2005, 01:49 PM

So do you have to come at all of the 'from behind'? Which means you have to take off the inside door panel, and both wheel well liners?

Old 08-29-2005, 01:50 PM

No you shoudnt need to take panels off. Use an object and just prize them away from the edges,

Old 08-29-2005, 02:01 PM

Im feeling kind so I've just taken these pics

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7..._0001_0001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7..._0001_0002.jpg

Old 08-29-2005, 04:50 PM
HCF Member

i want to do the same thing to my 2000 civic,i want to do the door handles, trim, and the side skirts, but im scared that if i paint it,its going to start to chip or somthing, and im also scared to take off the trim part, i dont what to take it off, break somthing, then its going to be really loose when i put it back on...but this wont be till the end of winter/spring time, when your done post some picks of the process, taking it off, the back of it, paint, any problems, and how the paint sticks on...thanks...and good luck, oh and 1 tip, but the good automotive primer,paint,and clear.. not just some plastic paint

Old 08-30-2005, 12:30 PM

Yeah, I really don't want to have to break it to take it off.... while I appreciate your suggestions Jeffro, does anyone know how to take it off without breaking it?

Old 08-30-2005, 03:13 PM

ORIGINAL: althius

First off the black 'trim' on the sides on my car here:

What is it called?
i believe it's called molding, so if you're ever looking to buy some on ebay or whatnot, search using that term.

Old 08-30-2005, 04:56 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: althius

Yeah, I really don't want to have to break it to take it off.... while I appreciate your suggestions Jeffro, does anyone know how to take it off without breaking it?
If I read it right, he didn't break anything other than some of the clips. I'd just make sure I got all the screws out, then pry it out with something that won't scratch the body, like something plastic.

If you do break the clips off, the double-stick tape sounds like it would work, because some body kits' sideskirts are held on that way. Don't know what kind to suggest, though.

Quick Reply: Painting the 'Trim'