Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

price of rattle cans vs spray gun + paint...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Default price of rattle cans vs spray gun + paint...

i'll be repainting my car soon. i know the benefits and drawbacks of doing rattle can work (i know it can look good). basically it'll come down to how much it costs though. i imagine it would be a helluva lot of money to buy all the rattle cans needed to paint the entire car (and multiple coats). i have no idea how much it costs to buy spray guns (i need like 3, it's a group project) and the paint needed. any thoughts?

i think i know the answer so this may be a non-question...

and if it costs less to go with guns and paint, what should i do about clear coating?

Old 08-08-2007, 03:30 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: price of rattle cans vs spray gun + paint...

i think the spray gun is a better choice. you need A LOT of coats with spray cans because the layers are incredibly thin. in the long run, the gun will yield better results for a better price.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Super Cereal Admin

From what I've seen, rattle-can paint jobs are usually close to $200 all said and done (about $50 in paint and the other $150 in supplies)... the only drawback is that it is very, very time consuming. Paint guns and automotive paint will cost a lot more but take a lot less time.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:47 PM
HCF Member

Do you have a "harbor freight store" near by because they have really low prices on spray guns and compressors. Or you can also always rent one.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well if you dont REALY care about a perfect paint job.... which i asume if your considering rattle caning it.LMFAO

BUT harbor frieght has a cheap spray gun for only 15bucks..... nothing special... i have the paint gun BUT havent used it yet tho.... i bought one just for a cheap gun to paint my trailer....
but im sure its AWHOLE LOT BETER THAN RATTLE CANS!!!!!!

and you dont have to use clear coat...... buy some base coat paint.... its cheaper and if you work at it you can make it shine just as good as with clear coat!
put the paint on preaty good.... then sand the paint to take out the imperfections then buff the paint to a shine! that style paint is ALOT beter for a beater that gets banged up and chiped up... cause if it gets chiped or scratched just paint brush some paint in.... let it dry, block sand it and buff it back to a shine and youll never know it was damaged thier! also alot cheaper than clear coat base paints......
ill look out in our shop tomorow for the number of our cheap paint place... paint runs typicaly 50bucks gallon which is still TONS CHEAPER than spray cans! i cannt remember thier name or number off hand... but they got a decent selection of colors... i got a chip book BUT its preaty old so they probably have new colors by now...

Old 08-08-2007, 04:48 PM

yeah a single stage paint would be a lot better. you can take it to maaco and get a decent job for 300. it would beat the heck out of doing it yourself, just do your own prep work and remove molding and trim ect.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:44 PM

thanks for all the replys, very helpful. i know i can buy a spray gun at home depot for about $30. i just don't know where to get the auto paint, but i can figure that out. i'll do some more research.

i'm not doing any macco thing. i have a group of teens that i work with, part of the juvenile hall system. they said they would like to help me with my project so they're doing everything with me watching over them: sanding, primer and painting. they're even filling in cracks and realigning the body kit.

thanks again

Old 08-08-2007, 06:09 PM
HCF Member

if you live in New York (longisland) ill hook u up, i work in an automotive paint store that has guns and paint ect. DONT buy a ****ing home depot gun that **** complete garbage......How big is your compressor? if its small your going to have problems. you can sometimes get away with conventional spray guns on a small compressor but GO gravity feed HVLP. (high volume low pressure) less over spray and wasted paint. but you need a some what big compressor. GET AIR DRYERS(dessicants) for your air line.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:50 PM
HCF Member

Ya different spray guns are for different things, if your going to go out and get one, you mide as well get the proper thing. You need to research on the net, there are many different spray guns/tips/sizes ect depending on what your doing, what paint your using,what stage your at...ect. Also you only need 1 gun, with a gun it takes very little time to paint a car, all the work is in the prep,get them to do that.