Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.
View Poll Results: A poll
spend the extra cash and go full paint.
17.65%
just primer the car and fix most the body work.
76.47%
just leave the paint as it is and just patch the rust spots
5.88%
or just leave it AS-IS now with rust spots just primered over only.
0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

to primer or paint or leave alone?

Old 04-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default to primer or paint or leave alone?

yes MODS i know off topic section but not sure where to post since their is really no paint/body section......

been thinking hard about this lately.......

I AM REALLY TORN!!!!!

Please be honest!

for my 94 civic coupe.... now the paint is horible!!!!!! deep scratches all over the car! tho it is minor rust in the rear... but the front end is beat up pretty bad, fenders hood, front bumper.

and lets face it ill never get my money back outta the car if i paint and clear coat the car...

so im very tempted to just black primer this sucker at least for awhile...... i wont be sanded down to the metal in most places hopefully. will definatly take some high fill primer and alot of sanding!

ive been thinking hard and the cost of the paint and clear coat along with a nice paint gun seems like it could be to much for me to do to this car. im just not sure if the cars worth the hassle anymore...

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? paint / primer / or just leave it?

ive already got ruffly 2,500bucks cash invested in this civic none of my labor work factored in! the car only books like around 3K in excellent condition.....

i figure with the cost of paint and clear coat as well as a nice paint gun id probably have 1K bucks ruffly in the process... and A LOT OF HOURS SANDING.....
and if i just primered the car black id only have a few hundred bucks in it and at least it would look better smoothed and straight enough body work.....

im pretty confident i can fix the bumper and hood as well as fenders which is probably the worst since the rust is minimal little body work needed everywhere else.

but the main thing that is stoping me from jumping on it is the cost of everything..... ill probably never see that money again because the car just doesnt even book that much....
im just thinking.... this civic is my winter/beater.... and if i do wreck the car no way insurance would cover all the paint work... and if i ever HAD TO sell it i wouldnt get that money back outta it.

I AM REALLY TORN!!!!!

sorry for the babbling but its defiantly a argument in my head that i need help with.
im thinking more like

1 its my winter beater, it will never be a show car! theres no AC in the car and i admit i am a AC P*SSY.... i hate being hot!

2 ill never recover the cash i put into it if i sell or crash it or get wrecked into.
they both have PROS AND CONS.

and even tho the paint looks good from the camera lense its alot worse than it shows. like the front end all sandblasted and dents all over the front end! and DEEP SCRATCHES over the whole car! kid must have done his final sanding with 80-120grit sandpaper before the paint! not noticable from 5ft away but any closer and its very noticable!

Old 04-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: to primer or paint or leave alone?

just primer and fix all the rust/dents and dings

Old 04-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Super Cereal Admin

just primer it... besides, black primer looks sick

Old 04-04-2008, 03:59 PM
HCF Member

primer and fix the dents....flat black primer would look tight.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Recognized HCF Member

would it last enough just primered?
i plan on geting some good primer for it at least!
i have to price some of the recomended primer from the paint shop some day and price a decent/good primer gun for the recomended primer...
i guess its one step closer to it being nice.... well nicer.

next thing i have to do to the car at least is get the tint removed and maybe redone. im tired of the crapy old tint!

Old 04-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Stinky Administrator

don't just primer it, primer alone will not last and will not turn water like paint water can get past the primer and ruin your body work "bondo", look into hot rod flatz or a paint shop that can mix some paint into the primer

http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/ksflatz.aspx

Old 04-04-2008, 07:54 PM

Just rattle can it flat black. Super Street magazine did a STI like that and it turned out awesome. Let the cans sit in hot water a few hours before you paint, it will make the paint thinner and it wont have any blobs (I R rattle kan master)

Old 04-04-2008, 08:24 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

yes MODS i know off topic section but not sure where to post since their is really no paint/body section......
moved to appearance

Old 04-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Stinky Administrator

ORIGINAL: kokasian
Just rattle can it flat black. Super Street magazine did a STI like that and it turned out awesome.
if thats the one i read they used basf flat paint with a flat clear coat. rattle can paint and regular primer will not repel water and that will cause rust

Old 04-04-2008, 09:14 PM
HCF Member

Just get rid of that rust thats eating away at your car, then later on if you get tired of looking at the old paint job, then go ahead and put more money on it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: to primer or paint or leave alone?