Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Red LED cluster and heater controls (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 08:59 PM
HCF Member
Default Red LED cluster and heater controls (pics)

This is pretty much what happens when I'm bored and I just got a bunch of LEDs.
My camera sucks at taking night pictures. Just a forewarning. Everything is actually a really bright red. Everythinglighting wiseI've bought from Oznium.com. Awesome site.

Name:  HPIM4290-1.jpg
Views: 1317
Size:  23.9 KB
Cluster. 3 9.5" flexstrips and four superflux LEDs. I need to direct the LEDs a little bit better, you can barely see the dim spots. My camera just really brought them out. I can't get the gunk on the clear plastic piece off. At least not with windex and lots of scrubbing. I haven't tried anything else. Any suggestions?

Name:  HPIM4291.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  15.4 KB
Heater controls! One 9.5" flexstrip lined up perfectly with the diagrams. (chopped off like six LEDs from it and it fit awesomely)

Name:  HPIM4300.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  14.8 KB
My cathodes and LEDs switched on with the rest of my lights. LED cupholders, cathodes in the footwells and front of seats, directed LEDs rear of the front seats (cathodes lasted a less than a week on the rear of the front seats, they both got kicked...)

I'm also considering swapping out the cluster lights (turn signals, warning indicators, brights, etc. all the stock colors, just replaced with LEDs)and heater button lights (make all the buttons red except the A/C which will be blue) for LEDs, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing that. Can I just directly solder them in or what? Do I need 1.4v LEDs or can I use my 3.5v LEDs?

Old 03-15-2008, 10:05 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Red LED cluster and heater controls (pics)

had the same problem with the gunk on my cluster. try goo gone should come right off.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

looks good.
tho not sure about the climate control leds. i know my 99 3lower buttons you could take the buttons off to replace the leds, just use the smaller 3mm leds, otherwise you have to flatten the top and bottom of the leds so they would fit.
tho im not sure if i would personaly have all that red with the buttons as well. maybe white. but thats just my opinion....

Old 03-16-2008, 07:12 AM
HCF Member

I agree with you addiction, but I'm sort of competing with a friend in a red vs. blue battle. He's doing blue. Of course... he doesn't have a car any more, but he'll be getting one again soon and he still has his lights. I just completely and utterly one upped him by doing the cluster and climate controls I figured doing the buttons would be like icing on a cake, because chances are he'll never go through the effort.I'd liketoget a much smallerwhite flexstrip and put it over the temp sliderdiagram. I was somewhat worried about space when I ordered the stuff, so I didn't bother getting one.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:34 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya it would definatly look beter with a white over the temp colors.
you could posibly just use a single cold cathode in there, but i havent seen the gutts of the unit so not sure. hardest part about leds is you want that gap to have the best spread of light.

you got any build pictures?

Old 03-16-2008, 12:41 PM
HCF Member

Working on putting LEDs in the buttons now. Shaving the lip off of 5mm's is freaking annoying. And I think I have getting my center console down to an art. I had everything back into place, everything connected, all panels back on,and within ten minutes I was bringing my heater controls into the house to work on.
Nope, no pictures, my camera eats batteries like no tomorrow. I really should have though, there area fewpictures of 92-96, like, none of 97-98, and lots of 99-00. If I can find some batteries I will take pictures.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Recognized HCF Member

just a note your years are off just a bit 92-95 and 96-98 then 99-00.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:40 PM
HCF Member

Yeah... I thought of that when I clicked my thread to check the replies... lol

Old 03-16-2008, 04:52 PM
HCF Member

I have taken my dash apart so much I can do it with my eyes closed lol. Looks good, but I would use white LEDs instead of blue.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Recognized HCF Member

YEAH someone else agrees with my white

Quick Reply: Red LED cluster and heater controls (pics)