Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Redoing headliner

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 09:57 AM
HCF Member
Default Redoing headliner

So I'm getting ready to redo my headliner and I wNt to take out the sun visors and the "oh crap!!" handle. My question is will this be a bad idea? Do the handles and visors help keep the headliner in Place or will it be fine?

Old 05-01-2011, 11:42 AM
HCF Member

The fact is you can't really re-do the headliner without removing the items. The "oh crap" bar does hold up mine cause when I removed it it sagged. Sunvisors I don't think as much.. but just make sure you pull it tight and it might be a good idea to have another set of hands..

Old 05-01-2011, 02:13 PM
HCF Member

so as long as i use some good adhesive and wrap it tight those can go away without any problems?

Old 05-01-2011, 02:55 PM
HCF Member

I'd be hesitant regardless. When I had my front tint done the guy got the headliner wet after I had used adhesives and it won't stay up now. I don't want to scare you off from doin this.. BUT I would definitely research adhesives. If you can get it tight it shouldn't be a problem. One thing I will tell you is for some reason after I messed with my headliner it'll look fine when the weather is decent but once humidity it over %50 or the temp drops it'll bubble or sag NOT HORRIBLY but it does.. look into it and maybe call a upholstery shop and see what sprays they recommend.. and maybe when you do it do it on a more humid day so it'll remain tight.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:18 PM
HCF Member

thanks, those are some awesome ideas

Old 05-01-2011, 06:42 PM
HCF Member

No problem and when you do it don't use anything sharp to put the fabric back into the headliner. When the guy fixed my windshield from leaking he stabbed a hole in it with a screw driver.. maybe like your kitchen spatula

Old 05-01-2011, 07:06 PM
HCF Member

random but i can do that haha

Old 05-01-2011, 08:32 PM
HCF Member

I was thinking about it.. cause you have to consider how fragile that material is.. a small hole means you screwed the entire job.. or maybe like.. plastic butter knife.. just throwing it out there.. cause you have to jam it back into the plastic framing

Old 05-02-2011, 12:03 PM
HCF Member

So basically be VERY careful when putting it back together

Old 05-02-2011, 12:26 PM

3M makes a spray adhesive for fabrics that has never failed me, i have used it on speakers boxes console wraps etc

Quick Reply: Redoing headliner