Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Rhino Liner instead of Carpet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 06:01 PM
HCF Member
Post Rhino Liner instead of Carpet?

Whaddup HCF, haven't posted here in a bit, but I want a different opinion, and I like this community.

Anyway, my interior is gutted and I was in the midst of looking for a new (or old, in good condition) carpet and sound deadener.

Decent sound deadener ran me about $140, and a new carpet was close to that as well, since I couldn't find used carpet in a condition I was pleased with. I was looking at a couple forums and someone was considering using rhino liner in place of carpet. I considered it, and concluded that 1) it's way more rugged than carpet, 2) it'll last longer and be able to take more of a beating than carpet, 3) it's lighter than carpet, 4) soo much easier to clean, especially since taking the seats out and hosing it down could be an option, 5) read that rhino liner works GREAT as a sound deadener.

So it's basically 2 (or more) birds with one stone, and a lot cheaper. The only problem that I friend of mine brought up, was the smell. Apparently rhino liner smells reaallyyy bad, and he told me that it could take up to a month with my windows down and sunroof off for the smell to die away. Then I starting wondering, will the liner heat up and start to smell again in intense heat or the summer? Turns out it does. A solution to that could be using a lighter color or something other than black. I didn't WANT to, but if it comes down to it I might, that would be using a red rhino liner instead to prevent smell in the heat.

Anyway, what are your guys thoughts about this? Any tips or comments?

Last edited by Dontoh; 01-25-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:04 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I don't know if it's an option, but maybe spray a sealer or a clearcoat over the rhino lining?

But as far as cleaning, I think it'd be extremely easy to clean a car with a rhino-lined floor, especially if you put drain plugs somewhere in the floor to let the water drain out.

What about plasti-dipping the floor?

Old 01-25-2010, 06:19 PM
HCF Member

I asked if I could clearcoat it, and everyone started laughing, so I chuckled and acted as if it were a joke . didn't bother asking again, just figured there was some logical reason as to why it wouldn't work.

Yeah I like the drain idea. Some guy that has a jeep did this rhino liner thing, and said when he cleans it, he takes the plugs out and just hoses it down. But with the plug, it's one more thing that could get lost or go wrong and stuff, ya know? I was gunna ask him some questions but the thread was from like 2002 and didn't wanna bother with it

I think I remember reading something about plasti-dipping but don't remember what it is, I'll look it up in a minute.

Edit: the thing about rhino-lining I liked is that it always looks professional. It's, in a sense, smooth and doesn't look sloppy. Like obviously it's texture is rough, but it looks proper.

Don't know how this would work with plasti-dipping.. It says you gotta wait like 5 seconds for every inch as you're doing it, just seems like too much of a hassle.

Last edited by Dontoh; 01-25-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:39 PM
HCF Member

It sounds like more trouble than it's worth in my opinion. Rhino liner is great stuff but the only vehicle I'd use it on the inside of is a jeep or similar. It looks good in a truck bed but it won't look as "professional" as carpet insided your civic.

Last edited by stuco; 01-25-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:39 AM
HCF Member

why do you think it'll be more trouble than it's worth? i'm having a hard enough time finding a decent and cheap carpet, and have been told not to just go to an upholstery and buy some to do myself because it won't be molded properly and is a hassle.

to make it look professional i just gotta keep it even and make sure tape is in all the right places imo

Old 01-26-2010, 07:14 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Dontoh
why do you think it'll be more trouble than it's worth? i'm having a hard enough time finding a decent and cheap carpet, and have been told not to just go to an upholstery and buy some to do myself because it won't be molded properly and is a hassle.

to make it look professional i just gotta keep it even and make sure tape is in all the right places imo
Ok, so you said you need to buy sound deadener as well as carpet, or just carpet? How much is it to do the Rhino liner? Here are the reasons why I'd go with carpet:

1. You'll have to remove everything for the liner, like all wires, plug all screw holes etc, you'll also have to have everything covered to protect it from getting sprayed. Every single surfact that's not getting sprayed will have to be covered, you may even need to cover some of the exterior near the doors.

2. It won't looks as good as carpet in my opinion.

3. It will stink for a while and like you said, when it's hot outside it may stink again.

4. I don't know what type of sound deadener you wanted to use but there are other options for much less than $140.

Not sure what year your car is but there's lots of civic carpets for sale on ebay at reasonable prices:

It's your car, so of course you should do what you want, and rhino liner is good stuff, I agree.

Last edited by stuco; 01-26-2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:24 AM
HCF Member

that don't look like a civic to me^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 01-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Sir Banned-a-lot

thats most definatly a mitsubishi

Old 01-26-2010, 11:09 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by stuco
Ok, so you said you need to buy sound deadener as well as carpet, or just carpet? i want deadener and carpet/liner, and the rhino liner will be free How much is it to do the Rhino liner? Here are the reasons why I'd go with carpet:

1. You'll have to remove everything for the liner, like all wires, plug all screw holes etc, you'll also have to have everything covered to protect it from getting sprayed. Every single surfact that's not getting sprayed will have to be covered, you may even need to cover some of the exterior near the doors.

yeah, just like paint prep. it's not really anything new and shouldn't take much more than an hour to do that. the only thing that will stress me will be cleaning the metals and probably sanding. i'd want to clean it before putting carpet on anyway.

2. It won't looks as good as carpet in my opinion.

i think it'll look better, but even if it doesn't at least it's unique and something new

3. It will stink for a while and like you said, when it's hot outside it may stink again.

definitely worried about this one, i should mix it with febreeze haha.. i think it could speed up the time of the scent going away by washing it constantly and just leaving my windows down or doors off for that matter for a week or so. but yeah, def worried, thats why im considering red

4. I don't know what type of sound deadener you wanted to use but there are other options for much less than $140.

i've done a lot of research on this, and i definitely don't wanna cheap out on this. basically, there are no decent wants to cover floor, doors, roof, firewall and hatch area for under $140, trust me

Not sure what year your car is but there's lots of civic carpets for sale on ebay at reasonable prices:

95 hatch, checked em. it might just be me, but paying that much for a carpet seems a lil ridiculous

It's your car, so of course you should do what you want, and rhino liner is good stuff, I agree.
thanks a bunch for your input^

Originally Posted by kanarrjl
that don't look like a civic to me^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
naw, it's not. just an example. i think it would need another coat tho

Originally Posted by supersize
thats most definatly a mitsubishi
yea, steering wheel ftw