Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Shaved doors

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 01:53 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Shaved doors

well id love to do suicide doors on my civic BUT i know that is alot of work

but shaving the handles does look sweet BUT when you have a problem YOU HAVE A SERIOUS PROBLEM!!!!!!!
you need several ways as backups.....

i had my truck shaved and well it was more of a hassle than anything.... if i was to do it again i woulda just painted my door handles to match the vehicle!
i had repeated problems... first off RIGHT AFTER i welded a plate over the door handle opening... i didnt LOCK the lock unlock arm open to unlock.... and it locked... and well i didnt hook up the interior lock arm so i had to work between the door and seat and the door panel w ith cutting the CRAP outta my hands trying to feel the problem HUGE HASSLE!!!!!!
THEN repeatedly had dead batteries and well if the battery is dead so is the remote opening system... so THEN i instaled a manual release cable. BUT then from tiem to time it would come off another HUGE hassle!
PLUS if the battery is dead you have no way to open the hood to charge battery... then you need to wire up some jumper wires... so you can charge the system without opening the hood... and if you DONT have any backups... thiers only 1 way in the car BREAKING OUT A WINDOW........ and well thats a HUGE HASSLE TO DEAL WITH!!!!!!
cause think about it... with shaved handles ya cannt have locks either otherwise if they engage the door cannt be opened remotly... and ya ive accidently hit the POP button while driving before and had the door fly open. WOOPS....

i wouldnt do it again.... one of those things that looks cool as hell BUT for anything CLOSE to a daily driver... its a hassle if something goes wrong or bad...

Old 09-17-2007, 06:25 AM
Super Cereal Admin

^ did you forget that cars have trunks which open with a key and back seats that can be folded down from inside the trunk? I've heard a ton of stories of people just crawling through the trunk when their batteries died/ doors were frozen shut.

But I agree... never do shaved handles on a dd. It's just not worth the hassle.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:08 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: WhiteRabbit1021

Well, the ghetto ones just leave their windows down and reach inside... The nice ones have poppers... and the really cool ones have hidden door handles towards the bottom of the door.
That's silly. <_<

Just leave the sunroof open so you can go through that. DUH!

-Kelleykid

Old 09-17-2007, 11:22 AM
Recognized HCF Member

LOL
unless ya have a stereo setup like i do no way to get into the car from the trunk... hahahaha

i mean thiers ways to make the shaved doors fool proof! dont get me wrong... BUT you need to do a few... and one of my BEST things i bought for ease of a HUGE failure.... well i bought a replacement window and kept it up on the shelf.. THAT WAY if i HAD TO BUST the window out to get into the car... THEN i had a replacement where i could just sweep the glass up and put the new window in same day....

one of the MAJOR mistakes with people busting out windows to get into thier car for any reason like locked keys inside... they bust out that LITTLE rear side window... and funny enough that window will almost ALWAYS cost the MOST to replace.LOL
my friend bought a car from his sister in law that did that crap and almost every junk yard said 250bucks JUST for the glass. he got luckey at a tiny junk yard and got it for 45bucks....

Old 09-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: thisisoriginal

depends on how much other things you have on it.
my05civic was right...not on a civ

Old 09-17-2007, 04:19 PM
HCF Member

I've shaved handles on nearly every rig I've owned. It's not bad, but the definate problem is the batteries in the keyfob going dead. Of course you always have a button somewhere that opens them, but then if there is a problem with the car battery you're SOL. I finally learned on the last few...secondary hood latch. On the mazda b-series p/u it was a second hood release located in the fenderwell that saved my rear several times. Just pop the hood and jump it and ur on your way. Not sure I could get my arm into the fenderwell of my civic though =(. With the right mods that always looks good, but I'm thinking (at least with my civic) that the body color handles will do me just fine.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:18 PM

Im goin to get poppers put on mine.. i know there can be problems but im going to take it and have them done by a proper car modding company. They reckon they have done loads ad had no problems.
Expensive though probably.. anyone got any rough pricing?

Old 09-18-2007, 01:49 PM
HCF Member

~$150 for the kit? I think...not sure about the install price though. It's gonna be hard for me to resist putting them on the civic....since I totalled the last mini truck before I could finish installing the kit (most of the stuff still in the boxes if I havent lost them to the depths of my garage). Driving+sleeping= bad things

Old 09-18-2007, 03:48 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well the instal is preaty easy... the body work is where it can get expensive...

anyone can instal them AS LONG as ya think about some backup ways in......
if you think you can do the body work yourself then the way ive seen it to prevent warping is to tack weld some small angle iron to the door panel around that area.... and STILL JUST TACK WELD the filler plate to the door leaving pleanty of time for cooling between welds AS WELL AS when grinding down the welds... OTHERWISE youll turn the door panel into a wash board... and it only takes 1 of those steps to rush thru to warp the BEJESUS outta the panel!

Old 09-24-2007, 04:46 AM
HCF Member

Agreed, welding in the filler is by far the worst part. It's been fine on the older rigs that were built like tanks (pre 80's) but all the newer stuff seems to be thin as heck. 1/10 of a second too much heat and all the sudden you just created yourself several more hours of work. I guess I really wouldnt recommend this as a DIY project unless you are good at bodywork, or you at least plan to take it somewhere and have a body shop fill the hole and paint your car.

Quick Reply: Shaved doors