Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

spraying

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 06:02 PM
Default spraying

just got new bumper for my EG and i want to spray it to match the car. could any1 give me advice or a website on how to do this, like how many layers when to rub down, step by step would be good.

thanx guys

loz

[IMG]local://upfiles/1628/74AD105FB716420BB4C4F578E936745B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-25-2005, 11:04 AM
Default RE: spraying

i dont know much websites but i can help ya a lil first of you have to have a gun if you want a good finish. wet sand the bumper and make sure the surface is clean like smooth type. then you start the layer of white base and then put the paint on top after that then the clear coat and it should give a good look. thats what i been doing at my job i'll get more info from my boss. and some pics.

Old 03-26-2005, 06:39 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: spraying

to start with, wash the bumper. if there is anything on it when you sand it will just rub it into it and cause problems. then sand it with 400 grit sand paper you dont have to wet sand either. then wipe it down with prepsol or if you cant find that alcohol will work. then spray your color on overlapping your strokes by about 50%. dont try to get it all one color in the 1st coat. you just need to get somethign on there to make it stick 1st. on your second coat you can start trying to make it completely cover. then do a 3rd coat to make sure leaving about 15min between coats depending on weather conditions. the wetter and colder it is the longer you have to wait. then once you have 3 coats of color on if you are using a single stage paint(paint shines with no clear) then you can just leave it till the next day and be done or you can clear it to give it more protection and depth to the job, then give it an hour and repeat the spraying process with the clear. if you are using a basecoat then wait about 30 min after your 3rd coat and start spraying your clear. chances are if you are asking this question you dont have a buffer and you arent gonna wetsand and buff it later so im not gonna get into that, but if you do want info on that i can explain. i hope that helps