Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Is there another way to shave the door trim other then welding metal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 09:51 AM
Default Is there another way to shave the door trim other then welding metal?

I'm going to be doing this in my apartment parking lot and don't really have the tools for welding a piece of metal in and then bondoing after that. Is there anything that can be cut with a knife that could be used to fill it before using bondo like (don't laugh) the type of foam that is used under the front and rear bumpers bondo'd into place and then fglass or bondo on top?

Old 07-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Default RE: Is there another way to shave the door trim other then welding metal?

I dont think anything would stick to the metal good enough for long term. If you arent going to weld I dont think you will be happy with the results after a period of time.

Old 07-28-2005, 10:56 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Is there another way to shave the door trim other then welding metal?

^yeah, what he said. Eventually, probably within a year, all that **** is going to crack and fall off, and you'll be left with an "interesting" looking car

Old 07-28-2005, 06:01 PM
HCF Member

actually there is...im in the process of doin this myself...not jus door trim but everything on the car...no lines at all...its comin out pretty good too...ill have pix up soon...first step would be to sand to bare metal about one to two inches on top and bottom of door trim...so fiberglass will mold better....fiberglass mating is a bitch to work with but once u get used to it its not too bad...latex gloves and a paintbrush help for easy application..next soak the matting in the resin and apply to door...brush with paintbrush or sponge brush to get out all air bubbles...let dry then sand edges to make them smooth...then some good ol' bondo over the fiberglass...takes about two thin coats to get it to be smooth...but in the end its all worth it...hope it helps u out....have fun and try not to get too close to that resin..had a chemical high for about 2 days...hahave peace

Old 07-28-2005, 11:23 PM

Fiberglass wont stick to metal. When I make fiberglass boxes I use tin foil to keep it from sticking to anything and then just peel of the foil

Old 07-28-2005, 11:31 PM
mxs
HCF Member

I'm with LEVIII, why would you want to do this and not be able to do a good job? If you don't have the resources to do it right, right now, then maybe you should hold off. I agree it would look cool if done correctly... but if it started falling out in a few months, [:'(] [sm=smiley21.gif]

Old 07-28-2005, 11:47 PM

fiberglass will stick to metal but the bad thing about that is whenever u mold anything with fiberglass it usually shows cracks after awile. fiberglass shrinks and gets bigger and in turn cracks. every mold job i ever saw u can see the lines after awile....

Old 08-01-2005, 01:47 AM

the reason you are seeing lines after a while is bad prep work plain and simple not sanding enough or in the proper cross hatch pattern all until the fiberglass is "feathered into the metel all the while keeping the block sander straight and CLEAN dont let the fiber glass build up in the paper this cuses it to gouge.

H8'r you can use about anything to adhere bondo/ duraglas to metal I've personally used everything from Door Screen and Duct tape to Cardboard and came out with outstanding results oh yea just a nother small tip USE NO ARMOUR - ALL before or after painting until it dries it will cuase it to "Fish Eye"

Elnyne

Old 08-01-2005, 10:21 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: h8yourv8

I'm going to be doing this in my apartment parking lot and don't really have the tools for welding a piece of metal in and then bondoing after that. Is there anything that can be cut with a knife that could be used to fill it before using bondo like (don't laugh) the type of foam that is used under the front and rear bumpers bondo'd into place and then fglass or bondo on top?

[sm=badidea.gif]
Obviously, Im not the body king here but doing anything like that in a parking lot is just not a good idea. Mainly, "parking lot jobs" are generraly frowned on.

Old 08-01-2005, 11:23 AM

Id hate to see you try something the wrong way and hope for a good out come and then a couple months down the road it starts falling apart and loos even worse before you started and you cant really go back and undo it now

Quick Reply: Is there another way to shave the door trim other then welding metal?