Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

tint ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 10:47 PM
HCF Member
Default tint ?

So yesterday driving in manhattan I get pulled over for a spot check. The cops ask for all my papers and what not after a bout 10 mins one of them come over with a machine and im thinking its a breathalyzer but nope it was a tint machine. I figure what the hell i never been bothered about the tints be4 so i dont worry about it. but after waiting about 10 minutes i figure hes writing the ticket. when he comes back he tells me the tints checked at 38% and that ny legal tint limit has to be greater than 70%. So my question is does anyone know the tint limit in ny? and should i fight the ticket being that they checked the machine what can my defense be that i removed the tints? thanks in advance

Old 12-02-2008, 11:19 PM

it's 70%
that's gay

look at "step 3"
http://www.windowtint.com/proddetail.php?prod=AWTK-4DR

Old 12-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya sorry... some states suck.... and tho the % may not be that dark and MOST cops dont give a dam.... theres always that one d**k cop that just looking really hard to give you a ticket for something!!!!!!!!

how much is the ticket? J/W

but if you try and fight it you could always say the tint was there when you bought the car and you had no idea it was illegal to have.
or if ya just bought the car out of state since other states dont have those weak limits!
but they can probably check the out of state claim...
so id stick with the... i bought the car like this already tinted...
you might have a chance to have it thrown out.... but you at least got a good chance of getting it changed to simply a fix it ticket....

or if the cost isnt that much just pay for it and keep rocken the tint. and risk a chance of a second ticket posibly... your choice!

Old 12-03-2008, 09:47 AM
HCF Member

thanks guys... well that sucks i wonder what 70% even looks like and the price it doesn't say it on the ticket you have to go to a court hearing. But im pretty sure its 35-45 each. I think they throw the ticket out for first offense or make you take it off and you wont have to pay. So i was thinking of showing pictures of my car before the tints and saying that I removed the tints lol but if I get a tint ticket again I guess I will be screwed. Well thanks guys

Old 12-03-2008, 10:59 AM
HCF Member

not sure about NY but in CA they make you remove it and proof that you remove it by having the police sign it off and you pay $10. or you can pay the total amount and hope not to get caught again. Tint laws in CA sucks also, 70% in front also. 70% is like not having tints at all just a little bit darker than stock

Old 12-03-2008, 03:28 PM

man that really sucks
in FL, tint is 28% front, 15% rear

you can get 10% and the cops don't even notice the difference

Old 12-03-2008, 05:01 PM
HCF Member

Im in NYC and im rocking 30 percent on my front windows and rear window and 20 on the rear side windows and a 5 percent sun visor up front..

Some cops just have nuthing better to do so they hit you with wack tickets

Last edited by BX_Civic; 12-03-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:38 PM
HCF Member

yea first time in about two years that I got ticketed it for the tints. One cop told me i should check em out before but no biggie. No cops even checked them before I think the cops is trying to meet quoto for xmas bonus or something. the funny thing is in the bronx cops dont bother me when i get to manhattan i think cops would be better but they the ones who were worse.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:28 AM
HCF Member

Im in Alberta, and You cant have ANY tint in the front windows AT ALL. But you can have 0% in the backs. Kinda messed, but w.e. If you live in a city, cops don't care at all. They will only ticket you for it if you were doing something else silly.
But in small towns they just sit in high school parking lots and give tint tickets like candy.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by bretzky.6
Im in Alberta, and You cant have ANY tint in the front windows AT ALL. But you can have 0% in the backs. Kinda messed, but w.e. If you live in a city, cops don't care at all. They will only ticket you for it if you were doing something else silly.
But in small towns they just sit in high school parking lots and give tint tickets like candy.
Really??? 0%. I'm in Ontario and I think the limit is 35% in the front and no limit in the back. But I have 20's on in the front and rear. I like my privacy.

Quick Reply: tint ?