Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Tinting windows

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 03:11 PM
Default Tinting windows

Why does it have to be so hard to get them to look good when doing them yourself? haha. I have a large amount of tint I got for a cheap price and I just can't get them to line up after I start triming and what not. What is the best way to do the tint so it looks good? If the windows were out of my doors it would be cake! But Im sure thats alot harder to get them out and what not! So maybe there is an easy way to this? Ive been doing them with soapy water and I can't seem to get it to look good! Any help?

Old 09-22-2007, 03:22 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Tinting windows

ORIGINAL: Civic Dx 349
I have a large amount of tint I got for a cheap price

honestly man i'd say go to a professional for it, get the tint with a warranty, that way if it ever peels you'll be able to get it re-done for free

Old 09-22-2007, 03:44 PM
HCF Member

practice , when i started tinting they were horrible lol but u'll ge the hang of it. its quite easy

Old 09-22-2007, 03:57 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

ORIGINAL: Civic Dx 349
I have a large amount of tint I got for a cheap price

honestly man i'd say go to a professional for it, get the tint with a warranty, that way if it ever peels you'll be able to get it re-done for free
I agree. I got mine professionally done and it looks good. Wish it was alittle darker but, id rather it be legal than get pulled over and pay $100-300 to get it taken all off and redo it legally, so its whatever

Old 09-22-2007, 04:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i would just have it done professionaly, its what my family does for a business and we do a lot of redoes from people who dont know what there doing and think they can do it first time around.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:12 PM

Well I made a templet of my window and then cut out a piece of tint using the templet and BAM! That made all the difference! Another thing that I found out that works well on my car (5th Gen.) is to remove the seal peice on the inside at the bottom of the glass so your excess tint can go down on the window far enough that you don't have it catching and peeling off when you roll the window up and down! So far I have one window(Driver's) done! I have to get the other 3 tomorrow and then try and attempt the rear glass which may bea little bit harder but then again...Maybe not.

I would have loved to get it done professionally but for 2 windows a rear glass and a front strip it was going to be $150ish. My car is a 4 door so Im guessing it would have been $180ish for the whole car and that was @ 35%. Any lower than 35% it was an additional $50. I wanted my windows to be pretty dark and I would rather do the windows myself for $30 and I have enough tint to do about 15-20 vehicles for that price cause it was a huge roll that I got for that price and the money I would have spent in getting it done professionally can be added towards the rest of my performance parts since I just bought a Si Vtec motor to drop in my ride.

So has anyone else attempted the rear glass and if so, how did you go about doing it so it looks good?

Old 09-23-2007, 10:12 AM
HCF Member

My friend tinted his windows, they looked ok, he rear window he gave up on though because of the way it curves and how hard it is to even work in your back seat, no matter what he did it looked bad. He did end up bring it to a shop. I think you will have to cut the tint in half and meet it up in the middle.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:53 PM
HCF Member

Well, I just tinted mine not too long ago.

Ive tinted some cars/trucks before, and I think its easier to cut a big piece of tint, and apply the whole square, and trim and smooth it out that way. Cutting the tint the exact size of the window, and then trying to apply it and get it lined up is a pain in the ***.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:43 PM

Line it up on the outside then apply it to the inside.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mill$civic

My friend tinted his windows, they looked ok, he rear window he gave up on though because of the way it curves and how hard it is to even work in your back seat, no matter what he did it looked bad. He did end up bring it to a shop. I think you will have to cut the tint in half and meet it up in the middle.
we use a heat gun and shrink it to the curve of the window a certain way

Quick Reply: Tinting windows