Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

What to get for bulbs and maybe headlights want something BRIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 06:49 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: What to get for bulbs and maybe headlights want something BRIGHT

i think i've heard of kits going for like $175

Old 05-15-2007, 06:52 PM
HCF Member

eh those prices sound nice to me.. at least under 250

Old 05-15-2007, 07:01 PM
HCF Member

Remember that is only for a lowbeam and you will losw your highbeam, if you want a Bixenon kit then the least i have seen is $250 for a decent one

Old 05-15-2007, 07:06 PM
HCF Member

i never use my highs .. everyone gets mad out here when u gottem on

Old 05-15-2007, 07:09 PM
HCF Member

Well high beams are only meant to be used when there isn't other traffic infront of you or comming toward you

Old 05-15-2007, 07:18 PM
HCF Member

eh still never use em

Old 05-15-2007, 08:17 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, what you saw was HID (high intesity discharge). It uses burning gasses, and in cars that come with it from the factory, they have a nice straight-line cutoff along the top. They sit in a projector housing which uses a lense to focus the beam. In this factory setups, a leveler is used to keep the lights as level as possible, so that when going up a hill or whatnot, the angle isn't blinding someone.

As far as getting them for your car, you have 3 options:

1.) Buy an HID kit, as mentioned. 4300k (the color designation of the bulb) is what you see in factory setups (like the BMW), 6000k is popular in many kits. I'm running 6000k, but to be honest, I wish I had gone 4300 for the stock look. You will still have the same cutoff as your current setup, just the lights will be about 3 times as bright. Some people have issues with glare, but most civics seem to be fine.

2.) HID kit + projector headlights. This would include the above, plus a lamp assembly that uses a focused lense. The catch here is that the lense is designed for halogen, not the insanely bright HID's. This means that there is no leveler, and to get a good light level for the driver, you're going to be blinding people going up hills, etc. due to the fact that the angle does not change.

3.) HID retrofit. This means taking the HID's from a factory setup and putting them in headlights that will fit your car(Heck, you can even do the ones you were looking at on that BMW; Acura TSX projectors are also very popular) . I personally don't have much experience with this, and it involves a hefty chunk of change and some knowledge on how to do it and keep it clean. By far, it's the most difficult option, but also the most rewarding. There are a few places I've seen that will do it for you, but for about $900, plus you donate the stock headlights.

Hope this clears up everyone's confusion...if I get a chance, I'll type up something a little more in depth since this really seems to be a point of confusion.

Let me know if you've got any other questions!
Baker

Old 05-15-2007, 08:25 PM
HCF Member

So HID only works on low? Dimmer on high? I drive mostly in the country.

200 isnt so bad. I am stingy with my money though as it comes hard....

Ahh these cars get expensive now dont they. I bit off a huge bite when I bought a car. At least gas doesnt get me(much)...

900 bucks for the works hum....For that I would rather have me a nice 52 inch DLP tv as I think I would enjoy it better. ha ha

Old 05-15-2007, 09:14 PM
HCF Member

Well you can always go for the 170 ones and they work fine also. Just make sure you research and know that your really getting some hids.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:40 AM

ORIGINAL: cowsgonemadd3

So HID only works on low? Dimmer on high? I drive mostly in the country.

200 isnt so bad. I am stingy with my money though as it comes hard....

Ahh these cars get expensive now dont they. I bit off a huge bite when I bought a car. At least gas doesnt get me(much)...

900 bucks for the works hum....For that I would rather have me a nice 52 inch DLP tv as I think I would enjoy it better. ha ha
The BiXenon are a High and Low beam application. I have HIDs on my truck, and i don't even use my highs anymore, there is no need. Also, the HID bulbs are 35W bulbs, so they run cooler and use less juice while on (every little bit helps as you start to add electronics and stuff).

Quick Reply: What to get for bulbs and maybe headlights want something BRIGHT