AEM Short Ram Air Intake System

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 11:30 PM
HCF Member
Default AEM Short Ram Air Intake System

Distributor: 2Kracing.com
Product: AEM Short Ram Air Intake System
Car:1996 - 2000 Honda Civic Dx (FitsDx/Lx/Cx trims)
Price: $112.00 Shipped (Currently priced at $124.00)
Installation: The item was shipped in pieces in one box with all factory packaging. Itincluded very precisedirections, but the installation was very simple and straight forward. You first need to review the directions, then proceed with the installation. You first are going to need to remove the stock intake system (both black plastic boxes and tubing and brackets). Then you should have access to the throttle body. Then you can install the rubber mounting bolt to secure to the intake. Then assemble the intake by connecting the aem filter to the aem intake tube. Install the tube via the rubber tube connectors provided. Then secure the intake tube to the rubber mounting bracket. Then cut the intake vaccuum tube to length and install it from the intake tube to the valve cover. By using the provided rubber attachment, connect the sensor that was connected to the oem intake and install it onto the aem tube. Then use the provided coolant rubber hose and replace the factory hose with the one provided.
Installation Time:45 minutes - 60 minutes
Review: I give this product a 5 out of 5. This product is well worth the money spent. There is an immediate noticable gain in horsepower, as well as sufficiently increased throttle response. The intake isn't much of a performance bolt on because the motor (d16y7) is one of the weaker engine platforms to work with. But the intake pays off in its looks and throttle response, as well as increased growl in the exhaust. At a certain throttle position, you can hear the whistling from inside the intake tube which is quite exilerating to hear when you are driving aggresively. Overall, i give this product an excellent rating because it's quality, fit, and finish are the very best. AEM really spends time on research and development on each application in order to have better quality control. With this intake system, you will not throw any cel problems, and it is C.A.R.B. exempt in all states (pending in California). Here is a picture of the product installed on my 1997 Honda Civic Dx Coupe: (Picturewith the RTEC Polished Heat Shield installed)

Old 03-23-2007, 12:34 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: AEM Short Ram Air Intake System

looks good. i didnt know it was pending in california, i know the CAI is carb exempt

Old 04-02-2007, 08:07 PM

another one installed

haven't tested it out yet, installed last night, haven't driven it yet

Old 04-26-2007, 03:54 AM

How did you remove the lower part of the Plastic Box whichis fixedto the throttle Body? I have an induction kit on my EJ9 (D14A4 engine) and it seems to have the same TB setup as your car does. I've had a quick look but it seemed like a PITA so I just left it on there, put the lid on and coupled my CAI piping up to that. I did have to cut out the std filter element tho b'cos it forms the seal between the 2 halves of the box. Would I be better taking it off and fitting it direct to the TB??

P.S - I think the whilstling is pretty cool too

=chris=

Old 04-26-2007, 05:06 AM

Oh, also as a word of advice, get a length of 100mm Dia. Flexi Ducting Hose (extraction hosing) and couple it up behind your Grille. Place the other end near the Filter. I've done this just in the last few days, and the car picks up much better now. It must have been sucking in the warm air from my radiator which sapsthe power. My filter has a 'reverse cone' in the top so I justran the piping inside the cone. Unbelievable how much difference a cheap n simple mod like that can achieve.

Up to now I have tie-wrapped it on and ran it over my cooling fan housing. To be honest it seems plenty secure enough, but you may wish to fix it on there properly with fixings/clips etc - s'up to you. Definately worth the 5mins work that for sure!

Old 04-26-2007, 09:15 AM
HCF Member

Post a picture of that...

Old 04-27-2007, 02:38 AM

Yea I will do no probs. Will takea couple of picswhen I'm back from work and hopefully it's stopped raining!

My next little idea is to make the intake end of the cold air feed a bit bigger - maybe fit a scoop of somekind on the end to make use of as much cold air as I can.I have a mugen style grille so I need a scoop that will be thinenough to fit inside,but wide enough to take in lots of cold air. Sorta like an oval or something.

Will get some piccies up ASAP.

=chris=

Old 05-01-2007, 03:08 AM

Right then, here's a pic of my engine bay as it stands at the minute. Notice how I've fed the tubing into the airfilter's reverse cone? Seems tobe the way forwardjudging from the results. Like I say I'd like to make the intake end slightly bigger to allow for more airflow, by possibly fitting a scoop of some kind. Not too sure whatto use yet tho.

Note the induction kit is hooked up to the stock plastic box. Do you think I'd be better hooking it directly up to my Throttle body like yours?

=chris=

Old 05-01-2007, 09:06 AM

ghetto fabulous

the stock plastic airbox is held on by a clamp around the throttle body. you can either undo the clamp, or rock the plastic box side to side while pulling upward to get it off

as for the tube running to the front of your car, you could run that tube down through the hole in the fender well to the area between the splash shields and the bumper (basically a cold air intake)

if you notice, our pipes are designed specifically for the civic dx/lx application where the throttle body faces upward, as such there's less messing around with things

Old 05-02-2007, 02:35 AM

Ok I'll have a look at taking off the box later tonight. I've played about with the arrangement of the intake pipes quite a bit in the past and each setup seems to alter the characteristics of the engine quite a bit. I started with a much longer intake pipe but decided it was affecting the throttle response. I then shortened it down and it seems to pick up better since. It'll be interesting to see what difference it makes when I remove the box.

As for the cold air feed, my Civic doesn't have a hole in the engine bay near the front fender. I've seen lots of other Civics where the airfilter actually sits down there but its blanked off on mine.A circular plate covers the hole - do I need to cut this out? I'm not too sure I really want to start hacking away at my car, lol.

=chris=

Quick Reply: AEM Short Ram Air Intake System