Holley THUNDERMUFF!!!

Old 10-06-2005, 09:49 PM
HCF Member
Default Holley THUNDERMUFF!!!

Sweet, I get to go first. 5th gens pwn. Ok, ahem...

I got my Holley Thundermuff cat-back off of e-bay for about $150 shipped. It's 2.5", mandrel bent, galvanized pipe. Only the gigantic tip is polished, the opening of which is 5" but the canister is much larger.

I noticed a great gain. My little g-tech put it at around +8-10 Hp. Not too shabby for $150 brand new.

Install was a breeze. It took no more than half an hour and all of the hangers worked perfectly with the stockers except the muffler hangers. Get yourself some longer ones becasue the tip is so large that it will snuggle right up to your bumper with the stock hangers, but the good news is that the tip is large enough to dissapate heat so that it won't melt your bumper. I had mine like that for months with no burning or melting. I kinda liked the way it looked snug up against it, but it will stick out a little too far for most people's liking.

And lastly, the sound. Got ear muffs? For the first few weeks it was fine. Nice deep, sporty tone. But after it gets broken in it gets progressively louder. When I switched to a header and high flow cat, it got ridiculous and I had to switch tips, but $150 for the original + 40 bucks for the new muffler, I am still under 200 bucks with a 2.5" mandrel bent Holley/Magnaflow hybrid.

Pros-
-Price
-Performance

Cons-
-Huge tip
-Really loud
-Tip protrudes a little far

Recommendation: If you are low on funds like me and/or like a loud exhaust then this is the best value I have seen, and I have looked high and low. You wont find a used cat-back for this price.

Old 10-07-2005, 11:13 PM
Cat Fuсker
Default RE: Holley THUNDERMUFF!!!

ORIGINAL: Street Sniper

Sweet, I get to go first. 5th gens pwn. Ok, ahem...

I got my Holley Thundermuff cat-back off of e-bay for about $150 shipped. It's 2.5", mandrel bent, galvanized pipe. Only the gigantic tip is polished, the opening of which is 5" but the canister is much larger.

I noticed a great gain. My little g-tech put it at around +8-10 Hp. Not too shabby for $150 brand new.

Install was a breeze. It took no more than half an hour and all of the hangers worked perfectly with the stockers except the muffler hangers. Get yourself some longer ones becasue the tip is so large that it will snuggle right up to your bumper with the stock hangers, but the good news is that the tip is large enough to dissapate heat so that it won't melt your bumper. I had mine like that for months with no burning or melting. I kinda liked the way it looked snug up against it, but it will stick out a little too far for most people's liking.

And lastly, the sound. Got ear muffs? For the first few weeks it was fine. Nice deep, sporty tone. But after it gets broken in it gets progressively louder. When I switched to a header and high flow cat, it got ridiculous and I had to switch tips, but $150 for the original + 40 bucks for the new muffler, I am still under 200 bucks with a 2.5" mandrel bent Holley/Magnaflow hybrid.

Pros-
-Price
-Performance

Cons-
-Huge tip
-Really loud
-Tip protrudes a little far

Recommendation: If you are low on funds like me and/or like a loud exhaust then this is the best value I have seen, and I have looked high and low. You wont find a used cat-back for this price.
I second all he said. And I'm getting a quiter muffler instead of the grapefruit shooter too...and still coming out under 200 for a quality made catback...

Old 10-08-2005, 10:23 AM

The reason the tip sticks out so far is cause usally high performance cars run very rich so lots of black gunk comes out the exhaust and the longer tip helps keep your car clean. It is so hard to find one for the lancer that doesnt stick out much.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i totaly agree with carbon built up on the bumper from a shorter tip.

Old 04-15-2006, 01:41 PM

best bang for the buck just put thundermuff on my civic nice deep tone one of the best catbacks ive heard

Old 03-23-2007, 11:11 AM

So what the heck does it look like on the car? I'm looking for a new exhaust system (as mine is currently very broken)... I can't find images of it anywhere!

$150 for a bolt-on is fantastic!

Old 03-23-2007, 11:16 AM
Administrator

thundermuff lmao, anyone else find that name hilarious, but nice dude, lets see/hear that baby

Old 03-23-2007, 12:44 PM

Agreed, the name is horrible, but if it looks / sounds OK then I'm in.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:31 PM
HCF Member

wow, 5" outlet? that things huge

one of you guys with it should post some sound clips

Old 03-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Eun

you're kidding. 5". And what's with the name? is it for real? haha nice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Holley THUNDERMUFF!!!