Old 04-03-2007, 12:07 AM
HCF Member
Default Thunder Racing Header

Vehicle: 2004 Civic LX
Product: Thunder Racing Header
Vendor:WestImports (Gary) HCF Vendor
Cost:$220
Rating:**********
Install Time: Header install time about an hour... however, downpipe connection and total LX to EX conversion was over 7 hours.

First off are the complaints: For retail purposes THEY MUST develop a downpipe to sell along with this header because the processes taken for this swap is worth a whole other write up. The header fits well on the block and I re-used the head gasket... HOWEVER! The donut that was sent along with the header was WAAAY too small to connect it to the custom downpipe (WHICH ISABSOLUTELY REQUIRED FOR THIS INSTALL).

I gave the header 8 out of 10 stars ONLY because the lack of downpipe that was sent along AND the small donut piece.

Performance-wise I am very very pleased! The best part of the header was driving it tothe muffler shop... It was almost like having vtec, yo. With the whole swap completed I can say that my acceleration is actually not that much different, very little gain... HOWEVER!!! HOWEVER!!!! At the end parts of every gear (around 5000 +) it becomes a race car.. This is no joke, I crack up everytime I step on the gas because along with my intake and exhaust, my car sounds so beautiful and deep toned, and the top end acceleration is amazing. Horsepower gain is unknown, I have no way to dyno and I never will take it to the dyno unless I get payed to look like a fool with my LX on that thing! I would say that the power difference is like the first time you drove with your intake x5.

The piping alone on each tube on the header was CLEARLY bigger than stock which is puny and double walled. The whole thing was connected to the downpipe of a pontiac that was bent just a little more to magically become my custom downpipe. It was then connected to the Magnaflow hi-flowcatalytic converter (thanks again, Khanselman) and then welded onto my 2.25" magnaflowcatback exhaust. The muffler shop charged me a total of $289 to put everything on as well as manually extending the downflow and upflow wires going to both o2 sensors.

Remember to reset the codes to get the CEL to go away...

The header after an hour of driving has turned gold, like any steel header and it looks very nice.

Overall with header $220, cat $58, and swap $280= about $560 for a car that still is an LX but is one more step closer to being an EX.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:06 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Thunder Racing Header

Good stuff! im glad to see somebody else that is converting there LX to and EX (I am also trying to do the same thing, its alot harder then what is seems like) BEST OF LUCK TO YA!

Old 04-06-2007, 09:48 AM
HCF Member

damm. i missed this post altogether.

shiny stuff.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:40 AM

Looks good Moog.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:58 PM

Looks good moogly, i have an LX as well that i'm looking to do some preformance upgrades on. But it seems like there are almost none for the 4D LX civics. I'v been looking into a few alternatives, theK20 swap is way to expensive so i wasthinking about putting a Vtec version in. I went to a local shop and got an estimate on some parts, tell me what you think?

D17A2 Swap
AEM V2 Intake
DC 4-2-1 Headers
DC Sports SCS Exhaust

^For around $2000, think it's worth it?I asked a friend of mine and he told me it did't sound to bad. He told me the headers, intake, and exhaust aloneare like $1000. Agood engine would be like $500 so that price sounded about right.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:37 AM
HCF Member

Well they arent actually swapping the whole engine... just the head... the A2 can swap with the A1 head and you can actually find one used on other forums for around 150 and they have MORE than enough DIYs to do it if you know how to do that kind of stuff... the more crap I do the more brave I have been getting with DIY... a shop probably will charge 350 to do it so yeah, 500 bucks for the head swap.

I think you should piece things together yourself and save some money... really search alot of FS sections in different forums, you'll get ALOT of great deals on the same stuff, just used and cheaper!

IMO I wouldn't go tooo crazy on your d17 if you have any dreams of a k series swap... 1000 is still 1000 less that goes to the install of the engine... even for the k24 longblock I have seen them as low as 1700... go frankenstine and save cash for a freakish fast civic? Not too bad!

Old 04-11-2007, 05:01 PM

Thats sounds like a good plan, i think i will just piece it togeather my self and save some money. Also could you give me the forum were you saw them selling a good used A2 head? Lastly i'm going to get the stuff on the list below tell me if you think? (feel free to add anything to the list the could get me HP gains)

D17A2 Swap
AEM V2 Intake (I have an AEM V2 on my D17A1 will it fit on the D17A2 )
DC 4-2-1 Headers
DC Sports SCS Exhaust

(Are there any internals i can upgrade to get a bit more power?)

Old 04-11-2007, 06:48 PM
HCF Member

I dont know where the thread went anymore but boosted.es2 on civicforums.com was offering 200along the thing shipped up from LasVegas... remember... if you do this head swap you'll need a vafc2 controller (another 150) for your newly acquired v-tak, yo....if you're going to keep the d17 you will definitely learn alot about making a not-so-great engine great... but it will be pricey. If you do get the head you could go the boosted route with a garrett t3t4 turbo kit and even crower stage 2 cam... Honestly, I probably dont know much more than you about engines... this is justmy shopping listof things I'd get if I give up hope on the k series. You really should check out like emhonda or civicforums or civicseven if you have very specific questions about 7th gens... this forum is by far the best (the nicest) but they all have older civics.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:08 AM

Wiseco makes pistons, Crower makes rods. Google IPP auto and search the site for Wiseco pistons (~500) Crower rods (~700), you CAN use a Y8 valvetrain kit. Anythign over a stage 2 cam you'll prolly need AEM EMS, might be able to get away with E-manage or the likes.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:56 AM
HCF Member

Or just buy chimera's car!.... are you looking to sell that intake mani anytime soon?

Quick Reply: Thunder Racing Header