Lighting & H.I.D.'s Post here about lighting, From exterior lighting to inside lighting.

Another Fog Light install thread..

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Default Another Fog Light install thread..

I know these are probably hugely common, but I don't seem to be able to find what I'm looking for in any previous threads.

I made a crappy diagram:

Name:  WnzSt.png
Views: 241
Size:  25.9 KB

Anyway, I plugged the R and L fog into the harness, and the other end of the harness into the extension part of the harness (with the female and male connector in the middle of the diagram), then that into the harness with the relay/switch/etc. I plugged those two brown male connectors in the diagram (on the harness that has the button and the relay etc) into the fuse panel into 2 and 3 on this diagram:

I grounded the ground cable to a metal bolt, and yeah. Started the car, nothing. The switch didn't light up and nothing happened when I pressed it.

After that I went online and tried studying up on it and a guide I came across says to plug the female connector of the harness that has the relay and the button on it to the "fog light connector from behind the fuse box"

Does that mean the harness that came with the fog lights that I put through the firewall?

Or does that mean into a pre-existing fog light slot that came with my car?

Also, I think I read somewhere that I plug the fog light harness into the vehicle's pre-existing harness? I tried looking for a slot and I found a brown male connector under the powersteering reservoir, but the fog lights end in a male connector, can't connect male to male.

Any and all help is appreciated, I can take pictures if that would help you help me. Just let me know

Last edited by wizurd1111; 09-02-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:29 PM
HCF Member

if you install the yellow wire inside the car into the fuse box, have you tried turning on your headlights or parking lights on? the fogs only work if they are turned on.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:09 PM

I should have said that it's a 2000 Honda Civic EX, I watched that video its a completely different setup

EDIT: Also, I got the switch to light up. When you press the button it'll turn orange / light up. I even switched ports (thinking it might be the fuse box) and it also lights up when it's in a different port. The fog lights will not turn on though. I tried with headlights, high beams, etc. Switch works beautifully.

Any other ideas? I have the harness connected like it's shown in the diagram I drew. Is that wrong?

Last edited by wizurd1111; 09-02-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:21 AM
HCF Member

what about the Ground wire near the Fog lights is that properly grounded? it maybe different fog light set, but still the same connection setup. let me know i can post pic of my wiring setup maybe there is something simple.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:25 AM

That's what's been bugging me, the harness that came with my kit doesn't have a ground wire near the fogs. It only has one ground wire and that's on the harness with the relay and the switch (that goes under the dash). The diagram I drew is an EXACT replica of the connectors.

I was browsing through the OEM guide and it says to plug the "1-pin connector from the fog light harness to the 1-pin connector to the vehicle harness located under the power steering reservoir" except they're both male connectors.. o_o this is bothering me

And I'm not sure, I tried looking through that video again and it seems a lot different, especially the part under the steering wheel

Last edited by wizurd1111; 09-03-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:54 AM

UPDATE: I got them to work, it seems as though the ground cable in the harness that connects directly to the fog lights was inside the harness. I peeled it open and found it, grounded it and pressed the switch. Works perfect!

Thanks for your help, intrdrgn

Old 09-03-2012, 11:16 AM
HCF Member

i saw this Vid on the 2000 model:
i also took pic of my RELAY, the ground is comes out of it. i really believe that is your problem.

Last edited by intrdrgn; 09-03-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:01 PM

Yeah, I got it to work, it was the ground cable near the fogs, it was inside the harness and I never grounded it. Bolted it down and they're working perfect now. Thanks a lot for your help

Old 09-04-2012, 02:42 AM
HCF Member

Cool you got it to work.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:09 PM

nice write up

Quick Reply: Another Fog Light install thread..