Lighting & H.I.D.'s Post here about lighting, From exterior lighting to inside lighting.

Can anyone help me with HID headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Default Can anyone help me with HID headlights?

ight so i gota 99 civic (green) and i want to put HID headlights on it, but i dont kno wat size bulb i need or wat kind to get. i dont want to spend to much money
thx

Old 02-15-2011, 05:07 PM

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=Google+Search

What size are your current headlights? Yea.... that.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:13 PM
HCF Member

http://hidextra.com/

cheap hid website... and good support..

ive bought 6 kits off them...

5 8ks and 1 10 k...

and as for bulb size..

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...lacementGuide/

you are welcome

and as for ur siggy cvcrcr99 you maybe the only s.c civic here...but im a s.c teggie

Old 02-16-2011, 08:27 AM
Super Cereal Admin

HID headlights in a halogen reflector headlamp? Awesome. Just so you know, you'll actually have less usable light output... but at least you'll be able to see things almost directly beside you and you'll light up the tops of trees along the road.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:23 AM
HCF Member

i agree the hid will be a flood of light...compared to if you had some projectors like in the integra... which project the light to a certain angle. anywho... i wouldnt suggest getting higher than a 8k... those are plenty bright for regular applications..and not super blue... the 10ks are annoying blue... ill take pictures tonight.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:22 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, you'll get much hate for putting your HID's in stock housing. But ahh, eff it. I'm one of them and could careless about the people in front of me. :P

but anyways. Your bulb size is H4. and it is pretty simple to put it in.

1. Remove your old halogen bulb. Locate the section behind the headlight with your bulb. (your driver side headlight may be hard to access due to the power steering). Unplug the electrical harness. Remove the rubber protective housing. There will now be a metal latch you will have to unhook that is holding the bulb in place (will sometimes be a pain). Once unhooked, remove the bulb carefully. Set aside.

2. Take your HID bulb and just do the process of taking your halogen bulb out backwards.

3. Mount your ballasts. There are many spots available to mount them. I used zip ties to mount them to the side. Some kits provide mounting brackets so if you want to use them, go for it!

4. Plug all your wires in. Plug the electrical harness from your car to the ballast. Connect your bulbs to the ballast (should be 2 plugs for this).

5. Turn them on! Repeat for other side.

*6. A relay harness is optional for safety of your wires, but for my Civic I have had no problems and no fried wires or drainage of battery.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:56 AM
Super Cereal Admin

D2 bulb in an HID projector:
Name:  fxprojector_low.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  27.9 KB

D2 bulb in a halogen reflector assembly designed for a 9007 bulb:
Name:  hidreflectorhousing_low.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  29.6 KB

See any problems there? First, you're throwing extra light everywhere, literally 50% of which is in places you don't need light in. Second, because you're throwing light everywhere instead of directing it in a definable pattern, the beam pattern is scattered and has hot spots with diminishing light towards the sides of the pattern. So essentially, the only useful light you're throwing out is directly in front of the car. Congratulations, you just cut your useful light transmission in less than half, but at least you think you're cool by doing it.

Oh, and I figured I might as well throw this out there: any heat-temperature above 5,000K starts to lose visible light; the hotter the temperature the less light it puts out that your eyes can actually pick up. So 8,000K HIDs might be pretty, but they're wasted as your eyes aren't designed for the ultraviolet spectrum.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:56 AM
HCF Member

also, not to mention that a HID bulb in a halogen reflector is illegal in some states, if not all. I would suggest either buying a set of aftermarket projector headlights and throw HIDs in them thats the easy route and what im working on... if you want a bit more info on that, ill let ya know.

The best option is to do a full retrofit. meaning buying a good get of projectors and modifying your current houseings to make them fit.... lots of info on that here:

http://www.hidplanet.com/

Old 03-13-2011, 08:42 AM
HCF Member

Wow, reaper2022 how did you get your car inside your house?
lol i kid i kid.

I got my HIDs from www.ddmtuning.com I've had them for 2 years and they come with lifetime warranty.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:36 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by DaOne
Wow, reaper2022 how did you get your car inside your house?
haha. I was kinda thinking that to.

but yeah nyzplay3r, it is really up to you how you want to use your lights.

-So far as color, 4300k is the best visibility you can get out of HIDs, but for some people that is not the case. If you want bluer lights, go down the temperature range (6000k=white with a hint of blue, 8000k=iceburg blue, 10000k=deep blue, 12000k=purple). As mentioned, you do lose visibility. I have 8000k and I can tell you from personal experience.. driving in the rain SUCKS.

-Now for putting them in stock housings. It is illegal in majority of states. Why? Cause you're blinding the crap out of people! But it is NOT illegal if you put your HIDs in appropriate housings (projectors). People seem to not care because I'm sure you've seen TRUCKS with HIDs in their headlights AND fog lights. Right now I have them in my headlights, but I'm not blinding people as bad as my stock headlights since my black housings don't reflect the light where the chrome use to be. Plus I angled them down a bit. I haven't got pulled over/flashed by other cars in my 1-2 years of having them (not saying this is best thing to do, but it's temporary for me).

-Probably recommended by everyone on the forum, get a retrofit (I plan on getting one! Can't wait!). It is basically using your stock headlight and putting a projector in it. It cost some money but it is better to be safe than sorry. It is not only legal, but creates a huge cutoff to where it won't blind other drivers. And you see like the whole freaking road/off the roads with them. It's pretty fascinating. From my experience, use http://www.theretrofitsource.com/ to get your setup.

Quick Reply: Can anyone help me with HID headlights?