The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

"LOCKED KEYS IN YOUR CAR?"

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Default RE: "LOCKED KEYS IN YOUR CAR?"

[sm=bs.gif]

I don't really believe that is possible. The remote on your key uses radio frequencies far outside of the range of the frequency response of the ear piece/microphone of a telephone. The most common frequency is 315Mhz or 315,000,000hz. The normal speaker/microphone can respond to frequencies from 20-20,000hz. I'd wish for that to be true, but the physics I'v learned disprove that until I test it later.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:55 PM
formerly aryiman98civic

i dont know if this is really possible....

i would really like for someone to try it on the forums and give us feedback about it

it would be cool if it worked

Old 04-13-2006, 12:11 AM
HCF Member

I am going to try this tomorrow. lol it sounds about right. it sound like it would work.

Old 04-13-2006, 12:14 AM
mxs
HCF Member

guys, read the link that shellebelle posted (and beat me to, btw):

Relaying remote entry system signals via telephone might work if the signals were sound-based, but they're not. An RKE system transmits an encrypted data stream to a receiver inside the automobile via an RF (radio frequency) signal, a signal that can't be effectively relayed via cell phone. (In any event, RKE systems and cell phones typically operate on completely different frequencies; the former in the 300 MHz range and the latter in the 800 MHz range.)

(More than a few people have inadvertently fooled themselves into believing the cell phone method of unlocking car doors actually works because they tried it and achieved the desired results — not realizing their cars were still within range of their keyless remote devices, and the signals that unlocked the doors were transmitted the usual way [i.e., through the air], not via cellular phone connections.)

Old 04-13-2006, 09:10 AM
HCF Member

Yeah, as an electrical engineer I throw the BS flag on this one.

Oh and shellebelle, you can also just pull the inside handle and hit the lock button.

Old 04-13-2006, 09:30 AM
Cat Fuсker

[sm=wakeup.gif]

This can not work...I will try just for the s***s and giggles, but I know it'll not work

Old 04-13-2006, 02:38 PM
HCF Member

This story originally came out a while back. A buddy and I tried this on his newish Toyota truck. Didn't work. He called from about 100 feet away, line of site, cell to cell. No magic unlock. Fun to try though. We'll all see this on Mythbusters next season no doubt.

Old 04-13-2006, 02:41 PM
HCF Member

this is an old myth

Old 04-15-2006, 09:24 PM

Is this a honda your talking about? because I can't lock my driver side door without using the key. True I don't have remote locks.but those won't lock without the remote which should be on your key ring. How is locking your keys in the car even possible?

Old 04-15-2006, 10:04 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: leco516

Is this a honda your talking about? because I can't lock my driver side door without using the key. True I don't have remote locks.but those won't lock without the remote which should be on your key ring. How is locking your keys in the car even possible?
You have to pull the inside door handle and hit the lock button.