The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

AARRGGGHH!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 05:33 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: AARRGGGHH!!!

^ TEchnically i have a Mac... at work lol.

Yeah i pretty much figured out now that it is either my ISP or a setting on the motherboard that is causing it

Old 05-08-2007, 06:02 PM
HCF Member

CABLE FTW!! comcast ! chea!

Old 05-08-2007, 06:22 PM
HCF Member

I find it kind of hard to believe that your computer is causing your computer to be slow. Unless you have a software problem (which can be ruled out b/c you most probably reinstalled the OS), your new computer should not have anything to do with your internet speed. It might just be a coincidence that your internet is slow and you got a new computer. Another possibility is that there is something wrong with your NIC. But I also think that is not the problem.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:04 PM
HCF Member

Do you have a firewall?
What anti-virus are you using? Is it up to date?
What anti-spyware do you have?
When did you do your last scans?
Are you behind a router?

The main cause of a slow comp is the c**p on the Hard drive. Install and run CCleaner (without the Yahoo! toolbar) to get rid of most redundent stuff. Install and run HijackThis andpost the results, and I can see if you have a trojan or other malware on your machine.

Do you have any P2P running? If you do, your machine may be a bot, and you only get the leftover time.

We need a lot more info to help you here. If you wish, go to annoyances.org and join the forum to straighten out your problem. I also hand out advice there. I doubt you have a DSL problem.

As to DSL vs cable, most of the time the limiting factor is the server you are connected to, not your internet connection. If you have 1.5mbps DSL and can get it at a decent price, you probably will not notice much difference with more expensive 5.0mbps cable. Cable often has slower uploads also. Note: I have Mediacom5.0mbps cable.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:13 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Gene J

Do you have a firewall?
What anti-virus are you using? Is it up to date?
What anti-spyware do you have?
When did you do your last scans?
Are you behind a router?

The main cause of a slow comp is the c**p on the Hard drive. Install and run CCleaner (without the Yahoo! toolbar) to get rid of most redundent stuff. Install and run HijackThis andpost the results, and I can see if you have a trojan or other malware on your machine.

Do you have any P2P running? If you do, your machine may be a bot, and you only get the leftover time.

We need a lot more info to help you here. If you wish, go to annoyances.org and join the forum to straighten out your problem. I also hand out advice there. I doubt you have a DSL problem.

As to DSL vs cable, most of the time the limiting factor is the server you are connected to, not your internet connection. If you have 1.5mbps DSL and can get it at a decent price, you probably will not notice much difference with more expensive 5.0mbps cable. Cable often has slower uploads also. Note: I have Mediacom5.0mbps cable.
yes i have a Firewall, Zone Alarm, Yes i have antivirus and spyware, Both AVG. I have no reasoning behind it, but for some reason it seems to be working fine now, I think it may be my router, cause it was just a cheep one from Wallmart, and is like 4 years old now.

I did a test on CNET.com yesterday before i cleared my cache and everything, and i got 5.7kbps i just did it now and got 729.5kbps

[IMG]local://upfiles/6733/751AA337DBED4D24B45BF177310A4DFC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-09-2007, 06:34 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Gene J

Your results are inconclusive. You still need to post a HijackThis log to be sure. I'll repeat: Do you have any peer-to-peer running? Are you doing any file sharing?

Additionally, I would install and run Ad-AwareSE and SpybotS&Dto out spyware.CWShredder will check to see if you have Cool Web trojans. Have you checked to see if you have any rootkits on your comp? RootkitRevealer is one tool to find out.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:57 AM
HCF Member

Oops sorry missed those parts, i didn't have an P2P programs when on the computer, but i did have BitLord running at night downloading some torrented TV shows. I have used Adaware and Spybot in the past and didn't really have much luck with them. found them more annoying then helpful. but i will try those other ones you listed when i get home from work.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:28 AM
HCF Member

It could be your router now that you said it. A router is fairly cheap, get good one, Linksys or something.
And for the security, install Norton Antivirus and forget about firewalls, adwares, spywares, viruses. It have never failed me. I know you know where to get it

Old 05-09-2007, 08:37 AM
HCF Member

BitLord = P2P

Your problem is probably BitLord. Do a Google search and you will see you are not the only one with a download speed reduction problem. Here is one example: http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=30106. I would drop BitLord or any P2P program. All of them seem to cause problems.

1. Your ISP is deliberately slowing down BitLord to keep you from hogging their download speed.

2. Your router needs to be set to download utorrent programs to a different port.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:29 AM
HCF Member

The thing is i have never had the issue with bitlord before, i use it all the time and just only startd having a problem, but once i finish this download i will probably quit using it for a while cause i can't think of anything that i want