The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

For all you hardcore tuners here...

Old 12-24-2008, 05:59 AM
HCF Member
Default For all you hardcore tuners here...

How long did it take you to learn all the stuff you know about cars and hondas?
How'd you learn it?

Old 12-24-2008, 07:10 AM
HCF Member

I was born with the knowledge...nah, idk, mostly by either reading, or just getting my hands dirty, whether if i knew what i was doing or not.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:55 AM

reading threads and doing stuff myself

Old 12-24-2008, 08:14 AM
HCF Member

i would have to say magazines helped and hanging out at my friends shop religiously and learning i guess that is how i built my b16a from scratch taking parts from other blown motors that he had lying around...lol

Old 12-24-2008, 08:45 AM
HCF Member

Reading the forums.. reading the DIY's, Asking questions AFTER I searched the forums.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:04 AM
HCF Member

taking **** apart and having to redo it because i had to many extra parts.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Super Cereal Admin

I started off with literally no knowledge of mechanics. The first thing I did was install a short-ram intake and strut tower brace, which helped me get a little familiar with the engine bay (or at least know what everything looked like lol). After that, I installed a header, which was more in-depth and therefore a better learning experience.

So basically, I kind of learned by doing. I also lurked a lot in various forums, just reading about various things. Hell, I spent two years researching H22 swaps when I was planning on doing one (I still plan on doing one eventually when I get another honda). The biggest thing that helped me was when I was talking to my chemistry teacher in school... he used the analogy that an engine is basically an air pump; the more air you can put through the engine, the more fuel the computer can put into the engine. Power is made by the fuel and air mixture burning, so the more fuel and more air you can get into the engine, the more power you'll make (with exceptions).

If you're just learning about cars, I'd recommend buying and installing an intake, header, and a cat-back exhaust. They're three mods that someone with limited or no automotive knowledge can do with a little instruction, and they help you learn your way around the car.

And at 19, I'm still learning more about cars every day; I got into cars and started learning reading magazines when I was 13, so even after 6 years I still have things I need to learn.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:59 AM
Banned

I got my license about 4 months ago and before that I had nothing to do with cars. Now I am way to obsessed with cars and learning about them. I dont know much yet but I am tryin to learn from one of my buddies who knows everything about cars. Im learnin fast as hell from workin 7 straight hours sometimes with him on his and or my car. I still got alot to learn but im gettin there.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:14 PM
HCF Member

I'm no guru, but the short ram intake was the first thing I ever did on a car. I've never changed oil still, but I at least know how to now lol. Then just today I installed the front upper strut bar. I plan on doing more stuff myself, but it all starts with doing little things yourself and going on forums/articles, reading/learning how to do certain things.

click my sig below to see all the stuff I have done and will do to my car within the last 10 months.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:25 PM
HCF Member

I just started messing with cars about 2 months ago.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For all you hardcore tuners here...