The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Anyone have a solution for the cup holder problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:41 AM
Default Anyone have a solution for the cup holder problem?

Like an insert or something? I've been brainstorming and can probably whip up some sortof rubber insert, but I'd rather it be an "official" OEM solution if possible.

I actually rarely get drinks at fast food places (because they're a rip off), but I do when I go to Sonic (they have a good fountain and good ice). Anyway, I dumpeda Dr Peppertoday, just a few drops escaped but it's still annoying as hell.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Anyone have a solution for the cup holder problem?

You have any experience working with fiberglass? Might be able to make something custom

Old 05-24-2007, 10:58 AM
HCF Member

Yea exactly, fiberglass. Not for the beginner but there are many forums which can help.
http://www.fiberglassforums.com/
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/

Old 05-24-2007, 11:31 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well ya always have a few options.... tho OEM I DOUBT!!!!!

youll have to do some custom work... which all depends how well you want it to look

also WHERE you get your drinks from also.. as most FF places have different size cups....

you can make several INSERTS to fit your cup holder....

simply pull out your cup holder.... and buy a of your typical drinks from the FFplaces.... THEN buy some fiberglass resin...

and with the cup holder removed THEN with some aluminum foil wrap the cup holder VERY TIGHTly in all corners as tight as you can and double layer the foil... and also tape between the pieces of foil to ensure no resin gets thru some cracks to the actual cup holder.... then position the cup in the cup holder with some water in it so its weighted and wont POSIBLY float up in the resin.... then just mix the resin and hardener and pour it in..... and let it dry....

THEN pull it out after its good and dry.... then with some sandpaper smooth it up any that it might need... and then paint it to match your cup holder... and then your golden.... and if you want to have it hold the cup even beter you can use some bondo to form up the cup as much as you want so it will hold the cup even firmer... cause the higher the cup is held the harder it is to tip over from driving or turning..............
just sand the resin with some ruff sandpaper so the bondo has something to grab onto. and just smooth it out with more sandpaper and paint....

preaty easy realy... just time consuming...
so if ya got 2 favorite drive thrus that have different cup shapes just make a second same way...

almost forgot before ya paint be sure to remove the cup just use a razor blade and cut the cup down one side and just pull it out... IT SHOULD pop out easy enough depending on the cup being wax paper OR plastic cup...
just have to do alittle hand sanding from the inside and maybe alittle smoothing of the upper inside lip...

alittle palm sander from walmart works great! power tools rule i think it was like 25bucks I THINK... been awhile since i bought it......

Old 05-24-2007, 12:07 PM
HCF Member

yeah i agree with glassing one too and then paint it with a nice trim black or similar color to match the interior

Old 05-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Recognized HCF Member

and best part... you can just pull out your made insert so even if ya mess up ya wont need to buy a new cupholder

or if ya go to a carshow and they dont look that preaty then you could just remove them

Old 05-24-2007, 12:52 PM
HCF Member

+1^^

Old 05-24-2007, 01:55 PM
HCF Member

you could buy one of those cheap-o thingies you hang on your door

Old 05-24-2007, 02:04 PM
HCF Member

Why must we be doomed with whiney girl horns and cupholders that have two sizes: too big and too small.?

Old 05-24-2007, 02:28 PM
HCF Member

^^get a flex fit one, lmao. i just got one from checker for 5 bucks and glued it to the carpet and it looked pretty damn good if i say so myself

Quick Reply: Anyone have a solution for the cup holder problem?