The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

best import to modify

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 05:59 PM
Default best import to modify

I know this is a civic site and everyone here is partial to them, but I am still gonna ask this. What is the best import to modify for some serious performance potential? I have owned my 85 Civic for less than a week, but allready have the desire to build a fast ricer. I don't want to use my civic because it would take way too much to get any serious power, and I prefer rwd when it comes to building hot rods.

I would like a factory turbo, because I feel that is a great place to start. I don't have Skyline money (wish I did), so I was leaning more towards a 300zx twin turbo. I have always liked the way they look. Maybe a Supra? I was also thinking maybe a 240? They are cheaper, and looked pretty good. I want something not too old, but not brand new either.

I have wedged v-8's into S-10's, rebuilt my share of engines, and put a supercharged Lt-1 in a 89 Camaro. (God, I miss that car) So, I can do the wrenching myself. Besides building is half the fun.

So, what would be your suggestion? You people have been around imports more than I have, and I could use some advice.

Old 02-03-2005, 07:03 PM
Default RE: best import to modify

I would say 300ZX or try to find a JDM 180SX. If you can't find a Nissan, try an ITR or an AWD DSM.

Old 02-03-2005, 08:05 PM

300zx, MkIII or IV supra, or BMW M3. All of those cars are powerful out of the box, and handle well (well, I'd say if they all are stock, the M3 would embarass the other two on the twisties). They also have nice aftermarket support. If you don't mind the FWD factor - try to get your hands on MKIV VW GTI. For 5k, you can make that thing run low 13s, and I kid you not, I know two kids that did this.

Old 02-03-2005, 08:25 PM
HCF Member

yeah, id have to side with Kappa on this. if you can find a well running, older AWD eclipse or Talon, get that and go crazy. the first thing to do is to strip the hell out of it. mitsu's are HEAVY. then work out the suspension and brakes. then you have a sweet *** platform to build one of the greatest performance motors of all time. the 4G63-t. if you want an all-around performer with tons of potential, thats the one. but expect to keep working on it to keep it maintained and running, Mitsubishis are crazy fast, but theyre not Hondas when it comes to longetivity.

Old 02-03-2005, 08:44 PM
NTX
HCF Member

i think the 240/180 would be a good project, or maybe a RX7

Old 02-03-2005, 10:06 PM

I personally don't care much for the eclipse or talon. They are a good build up platform, but if I was going mitsu I would prefer a 3000gt VR4. I know they are heavy, but I like the way they look. Also I see too many of the older body style eclipses running around.

Old 02-03-2005, 10:28 PM
HCF Member

I'll go with a the 300zx twin turbo but its gonna be hard to find one wiht low miles, 5spd, turbo and good condition. My second choice would be the 240sx.

Old 02-03-2005, 11:01 PM
HCF Member

what kind of goals would you be aiming for? a drag car? an auto-x car? a circuit car? or, shame shame, a street racer? do you want it to be street legal? or just fast? would it have to be a chick magnet? i mean, i pictured a pure race car, thats it. so i figured that speed and handling would be the most important, but if its a street car too, then that changes the game. and would it be your only car?

Old 02-04-2005, 12:30 AM

300ZX's handle unbelieveably well... it's something most people don't believe until they drive one. I'm still sayin' stick with Nissan on this one. They're probably the best build platform of any import.

Old 02-04-2005, 01:26 AM

3000gt VR4
yeah, nice one. dont see too many of those. but that is a project that comes done already.

Quick Reply: best import to modify