The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Cable TV

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 04:38 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Cable TV

Ok guys, I understand that digital cable is awesome, but I am trying to make it as cheap as possible so we have more money at the end to do extra stuff. I am really trying to eliminate the extra costs at the end of the month as they really do add up in the end.

phan10m: I know cableinternet serviceis generally quicker, but I really don't do that much d.l.ing so its really not necessary for me to pay the extra price.

dragoncivicsi: Yes, HD is awesome and it's awesome to watch on an 42+ in. plasma TV, but as well off as both of our parents are... we don't need stuff like that. The whole point of this apt. thing is to prove that both of us can be on our own.

absoulute: I didn't know that about all systems turning digital by 2009, but I guess why that is why they offer the pricing that they do. I remember only a year ago they were offerring expanded basic for 24.99/month.... it's hard to believe that it doubled in price over a year.

gsumano: Thanks a lot for your input... that seems to be the best route. If you could maybe talk to your bro about what to maybe mention when calling that would be awesome.

jeff948594: Haha thats awesome man. All the power to you. Free cable FTW. Gotta love those Utility workers wanting to make a couple extra dishonest bucks.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:01 AM

yea they tried switching it before but the government stepped in and it is 2009 but the news is doing a really crappy job of letting the public know about it. So next year they will cover it more and make it out to be they made everyone switch in a year but really its been like 4 years but its the first time that cable has ever switched so they had a long run plus we are way behind . japan has been running digital for about 10 years i believe after we switch you will need to have a down converting box for all your analog tv's (thats what the cable company told me).

Back on topic did u ever try pulling off air. Depending where u live u might be able to use the old rabbit ears to pull in stations.. Usually only locals though. The only way you would be able to get a discount is threw someone because they kind of set their prices and you kinda have to deal with it..

Old 06-28-2007, 06:27 AM
HCF Member

Yeah, I could pull off rabbit ears, but they do charge 10.95 a month if you just want local channels, which I would pay for a month bc of better quality, but an extra 40 just for them to flip a switch for expandedrubs me the wrong way.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:23 AM
HCF Member

Alright, as you guys know I have been on the search to find the cheapest possible way to get cable TV. After setting everything up at the apartment, I decided to do a little investigating in the basement of my apartment building (open to residents due to access to the below ground garage). So as I looked around I started to find cable boxes to the corresponding apartments. Apartment numbers ending in 0-1 in one box, about 20 ft over another box for 2-3. Needless to say I couldnt find the 9-10's. Than it crossed my mind to go into the parking garage and there it was. Kind of like seeing the light shine down on it. And there was my cable and the open spot to it. Than of course I stopped and thought, should I or shouldn't I??? I decided to hold off, do some reseach (as i found a bunch of silver tubes on the floor [i am assuming this was from when they came out to disconnect the cable]). After some in depth research (maybe I should just work for comcast now that I know how everything works) all I would need to do is plug in the cable. But, than I found out that they can catch you if they do random surveys of cable boxes but really cannot prove it is you, but will still disconnect it. I thought, though, that I think it would be odd for them to survey a parking garage and figured maybe I could get away with it. But, I don't want to get caught either apparently they can come down on you hard... 5 grand fines, up to a yr in jail. So I thought long and hard and decided that I was going to do it the illegal way the next time I was up at the apt. setting stuff up, but then while I was out driving around for work, came a commercial on radio from comcast 29.99/mo for a year plus free HBO for 6/mo. Decided this would be a better route as we actually get OnDemand (Yes, I know I said i don't really care but it is nice to have as the woman loves this feature and was willing to deal with my cheapass orginally) and I would be doing this legally. I already spoke to the dude thats going to set it up and he said, "Usually with the deal they charge and activation fee, but I should be able to wave that!" So now I am thinking, "Well buddy, what else do you think you can do for me?" Plus, I figure, at the end of the yr., I could tell them that I want to disconnect bc I feel that dish will be cheaper and than they will give me the better rate again. So, needless to say, everything seemed to workout. Digital cable, cheap price, no need to worry about getting caught. If any of you are looking to switch to digital call up your local area comcast to see if they have the deal in your area. Thanks guys.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:49 AM

Glad it worked out. The reason you said you couldn't do dish at your apartment was it because of geographic location or apartment rules? If it's the latter, you can install the dish anyway. Federal regulations specifically permit people to use satellite dishes. Not C-band dishes (the big ones) but smaller dishes are protected.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:03 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Strahan

Glad it worked out. The reason you said you couldn't do dish at your apartment was it because of geographic location or apartment rules? If it's the latter, you can install the dish anyway. Federal regulations specifically permit people to use satellite dishes. Not C-band dishes (the big ones) but smaller dishes are protected.
Yeah I learned that too through my cable research. But, I also learned that installation would cost a lot to do and could be a timely process especially if they landlord is reluctant.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:07 PM
HCF Member

jd352 you live in avalon, nj? Seriously? I live just off the island and come into the island alot visiting a friend at Avalon Coffee. Ha.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:58 PM
HCF Member

yeah thats crazy, didn't realize that either. But I know who you are now. hows it going? Glad to be out of middle? I facebooked you btw.