The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Can we please act like adults

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 03:46 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Can we please act like adults

I read throught this one last night, and figured I would come back today and see if mabey it made a lick of sense.

I still have no clue what this tread is even about. Someone please make up some Cliffs Notes for something.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:48 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: BurryTheSpeedo

ummm...there is a replacement for displacement...and that is called volumetric efficiency....but its all your own opinion man, i for one would chose engineering over a big 8.0....

Volumetric efficiency in internal combustion engine design refers to the efficiency with which the engine can move the charge into and out of the cylinders. More correctly, volumetric efficiency is a ratio (or percentage) of what volume of fuel and air actually enters the cylinder during induction to the actual capacity of the cylinder under static conditions. Therefore, those engines that can create higher induction manifold pressures - above ambient - will have efficiencies greater than 100%. Volumetric efficiencies can be improved in a number of ways, but most notably the size of the valve openings compared to the volume of the cylinder and streamlining the ports. Engines with higher volumetric efficiency will generally be able to run at higher RPM, and thus power, settings as they will lose less power to moving air in and out of the engine.

Large engines are not allways lacking engineering, the older big engines used in trucks, rigs and such back in the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's were largely in-efficient but smaller I4's were also in the same timeframe. Also higher reving, and more hp per liter has it's draw backs too. More stress on the reciprocating assembly is a main one and that is why in the import I4 world you hear of tons more rod berrings going bad. Reving also is not the whole story while it does somewhat indicate the purpose of any certain engine it still is not a tell all and be all of engine design, abilities, and/or reliability. So what you say in many ways is simply not true, there are big displacement engines out now in form of crate engines fully backed by automakers with warrenties pushing absolute stupid amounts of power, on pump gas(talking in the 500 to 700+hp range) with just as much tq if not more. All while being able to rev past 6500rpm.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:11 PM
HCF Member

I posted this when i was drunk and it's in off topic for a reason

Old 12-12-2006, 05:07 PM
HCF Member

so what does it mean. it makes no sense

Old 12-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Ben

ORIGINAL: SPLAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8dF5nx42SA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQf4qSoFrK0

I know that this not 69 Muscle but lets face it new is better then old.
That integra is orgasmicly awesome.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:21 PM
HCF Member

Take the fastest, most built I4 or I6/V6 and compare to this

I watch this **** 4 times a year and anyone that wants to say V8's do not reign king of the crop needs to put forth the effort to build a I4/6 cyl to do better than that ^

Old 12-12-2006, 05:34 PM

ORIGINAL: brokenarmboy19

I posted this when i was drunk and it's in off topic for a reason
from what i got out of his first thread and then this quote, i think somebody needed some attention.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:52 PM

you couldnt build a i4 to beat a built v8, unless you did a w8 or some **** like that....
i have nothing against muscle, as a matter of fact i hope to one day have a charger project, but it is more impresive to build a i4 that runs 8secs than a v8...

Old 12-12-2006, 06:32 PM
HCF Member

also cost twice as much

Old 12-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Ben

Despite the cost, it is still more respectable.

Quick Reply: Can we please act like adults