The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Credit Card got Stolen

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 07:45 PM
HCF Member
Default Credit Card got Stolen

Well it wasn't the actual card, but my credit card number got stolen last week. Last Monday I bought a pair of AGX bellows style dust boots with bumps stops for my front shocks on Amazon.com, and I think that when my number got stolen.

I got a call from Wells Fargo yesterday but I wasn't home, then they called back today and I was at work, and when I went to log on to my online banking, there was a message saying my account was locked. So I decided to call them and see what the deal was cuz at that point I had no idea what they wanted.

After I called them she asked for my info and blah, blah .... then she started asking if some transactions were mine. first she mentioned the one for Amazon, which was mine. Then she mentioned one for some web site for 3 bucks, then 3 for walmart for about $150, $250, and $850. and I was like WHOA!!! absolutely not me. I don't shop at wal-mart at all, and I have especially not spent $1250 in the last week!!

So after figuring out exactly which purchases were mine and which were not, they canceled all the bad transactions and canceled my card and reported it stolen. And they are opening a new account for me and I should get the card in a couple of weeks.

So everything is cool now, and I will tell you I love Wells Fargo for flaggin these purchases and taking care of it a quickly and as easily as they did cuz my credit would have been screwed if they didn't. And I will never buy anything from Amazon again even if it is a few dollars cheaper.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

It's nice to hear that your bank caught the fraud so quickly and that you were not held responsible for any of the charges.

What makes you convinced that your credit card number was stolen during the Amazon purchase as opposed to any other of your credit card transactions? Did your bank likewise believe that your number was stolen during the Amazon purchase?

Old 10-12-2008, 08:01 PM
HCF Member

Ur lucky the 1250 got waived. Lots of money for stuff you didnt buy. But I'm pretty sure amazon.com is a secure site, maybe you have a virus or something on comp.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:07 PM
HCF Member

The only thing I use my credit card for is gas and ordering stuff off the internet. I made the Amazon purchase last Monday. I have made no purchases between the Amazon purchase and today, and the last time I used the credit card before the Amazon purchase was getting gas the Wednesday before that.

The wells fargo rep on the phone said that based on when I made the purchases and that the fraudulent purchases were all within 3 days after the amazon purchase. And because the amazon was online that it was most likely when it happened.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I wouldn't think using your credit card to purchase gas or other items is any more secure than Amazon purchases. I also don't understand the logic of placing so much significance on the fact the fraud occurred 3-days after the Amazon purchase. In my opinion, it seems just as likely that your credit card information was stolen 2-months ago, and it is only now that the thieves decided to cash in on your information.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:40 PM
HCF Member

Thats very true, and I really have no way of knowing exactly when it happened or where, but it is much more common to happen on the internet than at a gas station. I know amazon is supposed to be a very secure website, but they also so a lot of dealing with third party websites and companies. So there is more potential for it getting stolen than most people realize. And no matter how secure any website claims they are, there is always the possibility of getting hacked.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Yeah, i just wanted to point out that it would be premature to condemn Amazon or any other business unless you have hard evidence showing that the theft occurred on their site. In fact, until you know exactly where the theft took place, I am not sure how anyone could advise you on any specific changes in your credit card purchase practices. Instead, you might focus on increasing the security of your computers, as well as your wireless home network if you have one.

My guess would be that your bank in conjunction with the FBI will initiate an investigation of the case. Perhaps you could request that they inform you if they determine which of your transactions was involved in the theft.

Last edited by RonJ; 10-12-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:25 PM
HCF Member

I wouldn't blame amazon either but that sucks about your card. That being said I'm glad everything seems to have worked out =)

Old 10-13-2008, 03:12 PM
HCF Member

I would like to say that if I liked to shop with amazon then it would not be a big deal and I would continue to use them. but I have never shoped on their site because I have never needed to. And its probably going to be very rare that I will have to again because the only stuff I order on the internet is car stuff. So I just don't see a reason to use them again if I dont absolutely have to.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:24 PM
HCF Member

so what is the best way to buy stuff online with useing your credit card number excalty

Quick Reply: Credit Card got Stolen