The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

GPS

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 01:26 PM
HCF Member
Default GPS

im looking for a good gps, actually for my mom, i know there is garmin, magellan, tomtom among the best just want one with a somehow big screen display something like 3.5" or something like that. im willing to spend about 700 bucks... any ideas guys?

Old 06-18-2006, 02:51 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: GPS

Look into Pioneer's in dash units. It install where your deck would normally go and it does everything a dech does, plus it plays DVD as well as navigation. The unit isn't cheap, i'm pretty sure its 1k+. Maybe look into getting a used one or an older model. The pioneer unit has a flip out touch screen monitor and the GPS is built in. Other companies that make similar products do not include the GPS with the head unit, instead you have to purchase a seperate GPS module that you hook up to the head unit. I use my laptop and Microsoft Streets & Trips. The software + GPS transponder costs $200 and you need a laptop. I've used it a couple of times and its works pretty well, gets me right to where i have to go.

Old 06-18-2006, 08:59 PM
HCF Member

we have a garmin that doubles as a palm, it has a big display and never had problems with it...best thing you can do it go down to a GPS shop and tell them what your looking for and the price, usually they give you warrentys and detail descriptions on the modles you ask about, make sure its a good place, authorized dealer

Old 06-18-2006, 11:13 PM
HCF Member

Apparantly there is a way to turn you I-Pass (it pays tolls automatically in Illinois so you don't have to stop at the booth) and a palm pilot into a GPS navigation unit. My friend's dad at Motorolla knows someone that did it but i don't really know much about it. I imagine that if you have a similar system in your state you could do the same thing.

Old 06-19-2006, 05:50 PM
HCF Member
Default Re: Gps

i would go with the tomtom. it works really well my grandparents have one.
________
N02 vaporizer

Last edited by BrianT; 04-28-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:13 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mill$civic

we have a garmin that doubles as a palm, it has a big display and never had problems with it...best thing you can do it go down to a GPS shop and tell them what your looking for and the price, usually they give you warrentys and detail descriptions on the modles you ask about, make sure its a good place, authorized dealer
by any chance you what model is it? im looking for garming too but there are so many models i dont know wich to pick. if the screen is big (bigger than 3') would be great since it would help my mom to easy-read the map. i found a couple on e-bay, i juts need some information about the gps being reliable and stuff like that. the other option would be the tomtom (the only thing i dont like much about the tomtom is that looks like a ball cut in half) thx for the replies guys

Old 06-28-2006, 08:27 PM
HCF Member

if u wanna spend 700-800 get the garmin nuvi350. if u wanna spend 1k get the garmin streetpilot 2720. at best buy we sell the tom toms, magellans, cobras, and garmins and the garmins are by far the most reliable, easiest to use, and most comprehensive.

Old 06-29-2006, 08:40 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 01CivicEX

if u wanna spend 700-800 get the garmin nuvi350. if u wanna spend 1k get the garmin streetpilot 2720. at best buy we sell the tom toms, magellans, cobras, and garmins and the garmins are by far the most reliable, easiest to use, and most comprehensive.
last 2 times i went to best buy by my house they told me they didnt have any garmin, and they time they did they had a small one. well at least i know wich im gonna get thx

Old 07-26-2006, 09:13 AM
HCF Member

yay im happy to say that i got the garmin streetpilot 7200 7 inch screen!!! is just great!! touch screen and all that, very nice unit. $806.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:32 AM

The new HP iPaq phone/palm pilot for $499 also has a build in GPS unit. You have to buy the software and a mouting bracket-but it could do everything then.........

Quick Reply: GPS